Junior offensive lineman Jon Runyan’s résumé doesn’t gleam with experience. He has played in only one game for the Michigan football team and recorded only one tackle.

His father’s, though, does.

Runyan’s father, also named Jon Runyan, competed for the Wolverines in the 1990s, spent 14 seasons in the NFL, served as a U.S. Representative for New Jersey’s third congressional district and now works for the NFL as the Vice President of the Policy and Rules Administration.

“My dad was one of the good offensive linemen to come out of the University of Michigan, so I kind of feel that pressure walking past his face on the All-American wall every day,” Runyan said Tuesday. “There is pressure, but I try not to pay attention to it too much.”

Runyan’s father was known as a dirty player during his career. In 2006, Sports Illustrated ranked him second on a list of Dirtiest Players in the NFL.

“My dad was known as one of the nastiest people on the football field,” Runyan said.

Runyan said he tries to emulate his father’s aggressiveness. Growing up, his dad would always instruct him on how to play faster, play more physical and get his opponents on the ground.

He used to watch old clips of his father going head to head with Michael Strahan and would try to bring that same level of hostility to his own game.

This season, he’ll have the opportunity to demonstrate it.

Runyan may lack game experience at the college level, but starting positions on the O-line are up for grabs, and his name is in the mix. Only two O-line starters from last year’s bowl game against Florida State returned in 2017: senior center Mason Cole and sophomore guard Ben Bredeson.

Runyan practiced at guard during his first two years at Michigan, but with Cole and Bredeson filling up the interior spots, he moved outside to play tackle.

The transition wasn’t easy at first, but he has grown more comfortable throughout the offseason.

“Moving out to tackle for most of spring ball has slowed down the game a little bit more,” Runyan said. “Coming into fall camp, it’s really helped me getting a lot of confidence from spring ball with all the reps I was getting over there.

“I was struggling a lot when I made the transition over to tackle in the middle of spring ball, but (tackles coach Greg Frey) worked with me, and I feel like my sets have been getting a lot better. Coach Frey has been really instrumental in that.”

Runyan is mainly practicing at right tackle, where he takes most of his reps going against sophomore defensive end Rashan Gary.

“Rashan is unbelievable,” he said. “Going against him every day in practice is only going to make me better. He’s probably the best defensive end I’ve ever played against. It’s undeniable. His speed and his power are incredible, nothing like I’ve ever seen before.”

Each set he takes against Gary has challenged Runyan to improve his level of play. The competition has heated up with just over a week until the season kicks off.

“Everybody has been playing extremely well,” Runyan said. “Every play you have to execute your assignment and finish, and you can’t take one play for granted at all.”