When Shea Patterson announced that he was coming to Ann Arbor a year ago, he was hailed as a savior. That talk, while overstated, always had the same undertone though: Patterson would likely be at Michigan for just one year.

On Friday afternoon, he announced otherwise.

Patterson will return for his senior season, the junior quarterback told The Detroit News’ Angelique Chengelis.

“I think my original plan was to come here and help the team out as much as I could,” Patterson said, per The News. “The thoughts were maybe to come out after one year, so I think there might have been some speculation there. At this point, I feel like everyone thinks I’m coming back. Excited to get that out there so they know.”

Patterson took to Twitter to announce himself.

“There is absolutely nothing like playing in the Big House in front of the greatest fans in the country,” Patterson said in a tweet. “I wouldn’t trade those Saturdays competing with my brothers for anything. Can’t wait to play with the seniors one last time in the Peach Bowl! I also want to welcome and congratulate the new signing class — come in ready to work because we are coming for everything next season.”

Patterson’s transfer from Ole Miss was followed by a lengthy battle with the NCAA that ended in him being declared immediately eligible.

Patterson was announced as the starter ahead of the season-opener at Notre Dame and largely lived up to expectations. Playing every game, he threw for 2,364 yards with 21 touchdowns and just five interceptions. After losing that opener to the Fighting Irish, Patterson catalyzed the Wolverines’ offense to 10 straight wins, but struggled in a loss at Ohio State.

Against the Buckeyes, Patterson threw for three touchdowns but didn’t quite look himself in a 62-39 loss. A different outcome in Columbus might have produced a playoff berth. Instead, Michigan will play Florida in the Peach Bowl on Dec. 29.

“That’s the one thing that has ignited me,” Patterson said, per The News. “I think one of the biggest things that impacted me coming back — one of them — was that last game in Columbus.”

After Patterson's announcement — and with Ohio State coach Urban Meyer having retired —  the Wolverines come into next season with a national title ceiling.

Michigan has yet to win a Big Ten championship with Jim Harbaugh in charge. Next season now becomes their best chance to do so.

This story has been updated since original publication