Wide receiver Grant Perry has been fully reinstated to the Michigan football team, the Michigan Athletic Department announced Friday afternoon. 

 “We conducted an athletic department and institutional review following the conclusion of the legal process,” said Athletic Director Warde Manuel in a statement. “Based on that review, we have determined that Grant is reinstated to full participation with the football team.”

Last October, Perry was accused of sexually assaulting a woman outside a bar in East Lansing. In July, he pleaded guilty to one count of resisting an officer and one count of assault and battery. 

The prosecutors subsequently dropped two charges of criminal sexual conduct as well as an alcohol charge.

Perry missed two games for suspension in the 2016 season, and did not play in the Orange Bowl loss to Florida State.

He was suspended from all team activities in the Winter of 2017, including all of spring practice and the team’s trip to Rome,” Manuel said in the statement. “Grant was only recently allowed to participate in summer conditioning prior to the start of fall camp.

Perry, a junior wide receiver, is expected to play a big role this season, as the Wolverines lost their two top receivers from last year — Amara Darboh and Jehu Chesson.

Perry’s return brings a veteran presence onto the field for an otherwise young group of receivers. He played in 10 games in 2016, making 13 catches including one touchdown against Hawaii.

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.