Alec Cohen/Daily.  Buy this photo.

After being hired as Michigan’s new running backs coach, Mike Hart received a signing bonus of $115,000 and will make $415,000 in 2021, according to documents obtained by The Daily through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Hart’s salary in 2021 is the same as what Jay Harbaugh made as running backs coach and special teams coordinator in 2020, according to MLive.

In the contract dated Jan. 12, Hart was signed to a two-year deal. In 2022, he will make a $430,000 base salary, plus any potential team performance payments for which he is eligible. If Hart were to be dismissed before his deal is up, he would be owed his remaining base payment offset by any potential salary if he were to find a new position.

If Hart were to leave to take another college assistant coaching job, he would owe 25% of his base salary to Michigan unless he were to become an assistant at another Big Ten school, in which case he would owe 50% of his salary.

Hart will not owe a buyout if he leaves for any Division I coordinator or head-coaching job or if he takes any job in the NFL, or if Jim Harbaugh were to leave for any reason.

The former star Wolverine running back will be getting a raise from his last job. As running backs coach and associate head coach at Indiana in 2020, Hart received $375,001, according to the Anderson Herald Bulletin.

Michigan has not officially named its 2021 offensive coaching staff. So far Hart is the only new hire on that side of the ball.

Additional reporting by Ethan Sears.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.