Alec Cohen/Daily. Buy this photo.

Michigan football released its contract agreements with a largely new assistant coaching staff on Thursday, in response to Freedom of Information Act requests. Defensive coordinators Mike Macdonald and Maurice Linguist, safeties coach George Helow and wide receivers coach Ron Bellamy were all added to the staff by Jim Harbaugh. Co-offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore, special teams coordinator Jay Harbaugh and defensive line coach Shaun Nua all received new deals. In total, the assistant coaching salary pool will drop from $6.27 million to $5.4 million.

Macdonald is on a three-year deal with a base salary starting at $1 million, with $25,000 added to his salary every subsequent year of his contract. Linguist, his co-coordinator, is on a two-year deal with a base salary of $680,000 in year one, rising by $10,000 in 2022.

Helow, who arrives from Maryland’s coaching staff, is on a two-year deal as well. His base salary in 2021 will be $350,000, with the number rising to $375,000 in 2022.

Bellamy, a former football player at Michigan who coached West Bloomfield high school to a state title this past season, is on a two-year deal starting at $225,000. He’ll make $250,000 in 2022.

Moore’s salary is up to $550,000 in 2021, in line with the change in his job title. The former tight ends coach earned a promotion to co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. He’ll still make less than co-offensive coordinator Josh Gattis’s $900,000, though. Moore’s contract is also for two years.

Nua is on another two-year deal after his initial contract with Michigan expired in January. He’s set to make $415,000 in his first year and $430,000 in his second. Jay Harbaugh’s new deal is under the same base salary as well.

This isn’t the first time Jim Harbaugh has undergone a staff shakeup, but it’s the first time he’s done so after a year in which his own job status came under doubt. Harbaugh signed a four-year extension with his salary getting cut in half after Michigan had an abysmal 2-4 record in 2020.

With a significantly lower buyout for Harbaugh, it’s much easier for the Wolverines to move on if they feel it’s the best course of action.