Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

This story was updated Jan. 12, 2023 at 4:08 p.m. to include the outcome of Mazi Smith’s weapons charge.

According to Washtenaw County court records, senior defensive tackle Mazi Smith is facing a felony weapons charge for an incident on Oct. 7, 2022. Smith will “continue to participate as a member of the team,” according to a statement from Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel that was released Thursday afternoon.

The incident occurred in Ann Arbor, and charges were formally filed this Wednesday, well over a month since the incident itself.

“We are aware of the charge against Mazi from a traffic stop back in October,” Manuel said. “Mazi was honest, forthcoming and cooperative from the very beginning and is a tremendous young man. He is not and never has been considered a threat to the University or community. 

“Based on the information communicated to us, we will continue to allow the judicial process to play out. Mazi will continue to participate as a member of the team.”

Smith has been an integral part to the No. 2 Michigan football team’s defense, and is a captain for the Wolverines. 

“I have respect for our judicial process and with that respect brings confidence that a fair and just resolution is forthcoming,” Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said in a statement Thursday afternoon. “Mazi’s character and the trust that he has earned over the past four years will continue to be considered throughout the process.”

On Jan. 12, Washtenaw County judge Karen Valvo sentenced Smith to 12 months probation under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act for a misdemeanor weapons charge. That ruling comes after Smith pleaded down his original charge of having a Glock 19 firearm and loaded magazines in his truck without possessing a concealed pistol license, which was a felony charge.

As originally reported by The Detroit News’ Angelique Chengelis, the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act allows the misdemeanor charge to be removed from Smith’s record should no further violations occur during the probation period.

This is an ongoing story. The Daily will update it as more details are provided.