By the time Wayne Lyons arrived at the Michigan football team’s Pro Day on Friday, he had made a decision about how to handle the stress.

His football future depends, in part, on how the NFL scouts in attendance evaluated him Friday, a reality that carries with it a considerable amount of pressure. But Lyons decided he wasn’t going to let that bother him.

“The entire time I was training, that was the time to push and kind of be hard on myself,” Lyons said. “But today is just the time to let loose and do what I’ve been training for. Have a free mind and just have fun. And I think I did a good job of freeing my mind and having fun today.”

Lyons, who came to Michigan as a graduate transfer from Stanford this season, didn’t see as much game action as he would have liked in 2015. He transitioned to safety in an effort to add depth to the position, but it didn’t lead to a consistent string of playing time he could point to in trying to impress scouts at the next level.

That made Friday of critical importance to the defensive back, who is not likely to be drafted but still has aspirations to play in the NFL. As of Friday, he had no private workouts scheduled with teams, but he did get a chance to interact with scouts following his Pro Day workout, which he said the Detroit Lions ran.

“I talked to a few after, just to say thank you for coming out,” Lyons said. “They said I showed that I was working hard, and I was thankful for the scouts to come to give me some motivation. That’s the end goal, to go to the NFL.”

Lyons’ path to achieving that goal would likely have to go through free agency, getting an invitation to a training camp and then proving his value from there.

Prior to coming to Michigan, Lyons was a starting cornerback for the Cardinal. In 43 games for Stanford, Lyons totaled 126 tackles, three interceptions and five passes defended. At Michigan, he had just six tackles and one pass defended in limited time.

But while he didn’t turn in the type of on-field season he was hoping for, Lyons did hone his skills at two positions. He’ll be relying on that versatility to land a spot in a training camp this summer.

“I definitely want to play both,” Lyons said. “I think I have the abilities to play corner. I played four years, and I think I did well at Stanford playing corner. And also I feel natural playing safety. That’s what I played before I got to Stanford, and I have good instincts, so I definitely want to, wherever I’m needed, be able to play either.”

As for what he got out of the year at Michigan, Lyons felt like he made significant strides, even if he didn’t get to show them on the field.

“I think I grew a lot,” he said. “Not only mentally, just playing safety all year, (but) I was able to get more skills, more reps, more experience playing that. Being able to adjust to a new defense, going through a whole camp process, playing for a new team, a new coaching staff in a new environment. I think that definitely helped me a mature a lot more than I would have if I didn’t have that experience.”