Jabrill Peppers made highlight reels all season, but as expected, Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson one-upped him and the other finalists Saturday night at the Heisman Trophy ceremony. By a large margin, Jackson won the Heisman Trophy, given to the best overall player in college football.

Peppers finished fifth in the voting and was one of five finalists at the ceremony in New York City. Jackson won with 2,144 points, followed by Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson with 1,524, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield with 361, Oklahoma wide receiver Dede Westbrook with 209 and Peppers with 208.

With Jackson’s win, the last primarily defensive player to win the Heisman is still Michigan’s Charles Woodson in 1997. Peppers has drawn comparisons to Woodson since he arrived on campus, and his numbers matched up earlier this fall after a torrid start to the season.

But opponents began to key on Peppers, and his numbers tailed off enough to hurt his candidacy. He finished the regular season with 27 carries for 167 yards and three touchdowns; two catches for three yards; 21 punt returns for 310 yards and a touchdown; 10 kick returns for 260 yards; one interception, 72 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and four sacks.

He earned the title of most versatile player in college football by winning the Paul Hornung Award on Thursday night. Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh often used that term to describe him this season, and he used Peppers all over the field to back that up.

Jackson, meanwhile, was electrifying on offense, racking up 3,390 passing yards with 30 touchdowns and 1,538 rushing yards with 21 touchdowns. He was the favorite after a terrific September and maintained that title for most of the season.

Peppers will now turn his focus to the Wolverines’ matchup against Florida State in the Orange Bowl on Dec. 30. Another important question over the next month will be whether that game will be Peppers’ last in a Michigan uniform. The redshirt sophomore is eligible for the NFL Draft this season, and he would likely be a first-round pick in the spring.