In his first press conference since the start of fall camp, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh confirmed that sophomore defensive tackle Bryan Mone suffered a broken bone in his lower leg during practice.

Mone, Harbaugh said, will miss the team’s season opener against Utah next Thursday, and there is a “good chance” that Mone will miss the entire season.

Had he been healthy, the game would have been a homecoming for Mone, who came to Ann Arbor from Salt Lake City. Mone appeared in all 12 games as a freshman, and was expected to receive major playing time again as a sophomore.

“Freak play,” Harbaugh said. “Never seen it before in practice or games. (Sophomore safety Jabrill Peppers), we had blocked a field goal attempt, and the ball came on the defensive side of the ball, which we shouldn’t be returning that ball. Unfortunately, that teaching moment came with one of our players picking it up, running around the edge and Bryan was trying to lead block for him, and got the feet tangled up. And then when Bryan went to the ground, toe came down at an inopportune angle and unfortunately … a bone broke.”

Mone’s good friend, senior fullback Sione Houma, also from Utah, said Mone is dealing with the injury well.

“He’s keeping a positive attitude throughout the situation,” Houma said. “Our team is behind his back supporting him throughout his whole rehab.”