After an impressive 2014 season, rising senior forward Shannon Scavelli was named to USA Field Hockey’s 2015-2016 National Indoor Team. Scavelli, who achieved career bests in all major offensive categories last year, scored seven goals and added four assists for the Wolverines.

MORE LIKE THIS

Notebook: Wouters making up for lost time
Roberts excited to be competing for shot at Junior National Camp
Capitalizing on penalty corners, field hockey shuts out Providence in first night game
Wolverines’ defense holds off Hoosiers

Just the 23rd Michigan player to be selected to the USA Indoor Field Hockey National Team in 42 seasons as a program, Scavelli made the cut after four tryouts and beat out 230 other players.

After the intense tryouts, she has been training with the team every two weeks in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, since May.

“Girls from all over the country are on the team, and it’s been a really good experience,” Scavelli said. “Having other coaches and being exposed to the next level of play has been really fun.”

However, the summer training environment can also be a difficult one for Scavelli, mainly because the National Team practices double as tryouts. Team members are competing for selection to one or both of the upcoming international “tours,” or tournaments, one in December and one in January.

Scavelli said she is enjoying her time training with the national team, despite the high stakes atmosphere, because she is gaining valuable techniques that will make her a stronger player, especially in Ann Arbor come fall.

The senior also praised Jun Kentwell, the newly-appointed Women’s National Indoor Team head coach, for her experience and skill.

“The coach, Jun Kentwell, she’s been really good,” Scavelli said. “She definitely knows field hockey and it’s really fun to work with her and be in a new environment. Having played for Michigan for a while, it’s good to go somewhere else, get new exposure.”

Kentwell told MGoBlue.com she was equally impressed with the talent possessed by members of her team.

“It was pleasing to see so many quality players,” said Kentwell. “I am looking forward to working with this talented group of players and creating a competitive environment which will raise the level of everyone’s game. I have identified a couple of important areas which need development, and we will work hard to build a structure to enable us to compete at the international level.”

After working at the Michigan’s Field Hockey Camp earlier this summer, Scavelli is now spending her spare time working at several camps in her home state of New York.

“I really love sharing the game with younger girls and teaching them how to play,” Scavelli said, adding that learning the game can improve girls’ confidence levels.

Last season, Scavelli had two multi-goal performances in addition to three consecutive game-winning goals against Central Michigan, Providence and VCU. Scavelli is looking to use the skills she gains on the National Indoor Team to help her lead Michigan into a successful season this upcoming year after finishing last season with an overall record of 13-7.

“It’s great to be able to get that training in,” Scavelli said. “It’s good to have that and then coming back, (with) the skills I’ve learned, I can help my teammates.”