It was a back-and-forth match between the Michigan field hockey team and No. 11 Wake Forest (1-1).  Both teams maintained periods of offensive pressure and created scoring opportunities.

What made the difference? The Wolverines were unable to score after the Demon Deacons tallied three goals on penalty corners to win, 3-0.

“We didn’t capitalize,” said Michigan coach Marcia Pankratz. “We didn’t play very well in the first half, but I was really proud of how we came out and played in the second half.”

Statistically, the Wolverines had an overwhelming game on the offensive end against the Wake Forest. They outcornered the Demon Deacons, 10-5, and had an 18-9 shot advantage. Michigan was also able to spread out its offense, allowing eight different players shot opportunities with five of them having shots on goal.

Most of Michigan’s offensive energy came in the second half, with 14 shots and eight corners. Getting shots off of corners was the bulk of the Wolverines’ offense, but despite their efforts, the Wolverines failed to break through Wake Forest’s tough defense.

“We haven’t been able to practice our corners, so we don’t execute them very well in games,” Pankratz said.

Although Michigan is now 0-2 after its first taste of competition, Pankratz is optimistic coming out of the weekend. The Wolverines will head back to the drawing board as they prepare for their next competition against Providence and Fairfield.

“Wake Forest is a top-10 team and so is North Carolina,” Pankratz said. “Playing them back-to-back is not an easy thing, but it’s good practice for us. (This weekend) allowed them to realize that we can play with anybody. We just gotta put it together and do it for 70 minutes.