The Michigan baseball team returns to the 2014 season under second-year coach Erik Bakich, who looks to claim his team’s first Big Ten Conference or Tournament Championship since 2008. This year’s Wolverines bring an offensive punch backed by a bullpen looking to find its rhythm on the mound.

Feature: Maezes ready to be Michigan’s man

Riding the momentum of his freshman year, Travis Maezes is in line to take the reins as the team’s leader and sparkplug. The sophomore hopes to use natural ability and a lifetime of athletic intensity to deliver the program’s 36th Big Ten Championship.

Jason Rubinstein: A new beginning

Michigan has shown glimpses of being a Big Ten title team. At times, it looks like a last-place finisher. But after a 4-3 win against Indiana on Sunday, arguably the conference’s top team, there’s reason to believe this team is underachieving.

Big Ten Preview

After the Wolverines posted losing seasons in 2011 and 2012, Bakich brought Michigan back above .500 in his first season. He’ll try to keep Michigan on the road to becoming Big Ten Champions once again, but will meet roadblocks along the way.

Position-by-position breakdown

With the addition of 12 new freshmen, this year’s Michigan baseball team is a versatile mix of upper and underclassmen that shows strength in both the infield and outfield. However, the bullpen’s depth has been questionable.

Follow us on Twitter

Jason Rubinstein | Ben Fidelman | Brad Whipple | Zach Shaw

@theblockm