The Michigan Softball team won its third straight Big Ten title Saturday. Grace Beal/Daily.  Buy this photo.

On Saturday, the No. 19 Michigan softball team clinched the 2021 Big Ten softball title after sweeping a doubleheader at No. 23 Minnesota. 

The Wolverines entered the pivotal four-game series in Minneapolis in first place in the Big Ten standings, with the Golden Gophers sitting in the second spot four games behind. After winning the first three games of the series, Michigan has clinched the Big Ten championship, regardless of the outcomes of Sunday’s series finale with Minnesota, or their final regular season series of the year versus Rutgers next weekend. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Big Ten opted for a conference-only schedule, with each team facing every other team in the conference during the season, and no postseason conference tournament. Therefore, the Wolverines have now secured an automatic bid into the 2021 NCAA softball tournament. 

This marks the third-straight regular season conference title for Michigan. The Wolverines have held at least a share of the regular season crown in 12 of the last 13 seasons, and the victory is their 20th outright, and 22nd total, conference title. 

Michigan will look to carry its momentum into its final five games of the season before the NCAA regional finals begin.