Three suspects taken into custody after burglary attempt
The Ann Arbor Police Department has taken into custody three of the four suspects involved in a shooting last week south of Stadium Boulevard.
On Dec. 17, a group of four people broke into the home of a 72-year-old man on the 1400 block of Jorn Court. His son, a 46-year-old man who was also at the home, was shot at about 9:30pm that evening, according to AAPD Sergeant Craig Flocken at the time.
The 46-year-old man was shot in the leg/groin area after breaking into the home as he attempted to fight off the intruders. The suspects then left with an undisclosed amount of cash and other items.
Two of the suspects, an 18-year-old and a 19-year-old who are both residents of Ann Arbor, were taken into custody without incident according to a press release. The third identified suspect, a 19-year-old who was armed, was taken into custody after police issued a search warrant to enter the suspect’s residence and requested the aid of the Washtenaw County SWAT team at the scene.
“After approximately 4 hours, the suspect was convinced to surrender by negotiators with the Crisis Negotiation Team and taken into custody without incident,” AAPD Lieutenant Robert Pfannes said in a press release.
Some stolen property was recovered from the first two suspects and several handguns were found at the home of the third suspect. The names of the suspects will not be released until they are arraigned.
The AAPD are investigating whether the suspect knew the victim, and whether the break-in is linked to other home invasions in the area. This case is still being investigated and charges are expected.
“There is a possibility that this house was targeted due to its prior status as a marijuana dispensary but that has not been conclusively determined,” Pfannes said. “Other suspects are still being developed and the investigation is ongoing.”
As of earlier this week, the 46-year-old man who was shot was in stable condition.