Slated to begin last Friday, election recount efforts in Michigan were put on hold until Monday morning after President-elect Donald Trump’s lawyers argued it was a waste of resources and filed an objection to the recount in Michigan as well as Wisconsin and Pennsylvania last week.
Now, with the approval from U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith, who ruled that recounts should start at noon on Monday, local clerks are seeking workers to recount more than 4.8 million ballots cast for president in Michigan.
In Oakland and Ingham counties, recounts began Monday morning. Ingham County Clerk Barb Byrum told the Detroit Free Press she had to call workers in early Monday to get the recount underway.
“We’re just trying to get the logistics hammered out,” Byrum said. “Not many people replied to my text message at 12:30 this morning. We are preparing for recount to start at noon.”
The request for a recount was filed
in Michigan last Wednesday by Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein, who also paid the state’s $125 fee per precinct recounted, totalling upwards of one million dollars. Counties are responsible for the rest of the cost.
Washtenaw County, which has 143 precincts alone, will begin
its recount Tuesday morning.
Macomb and Wayne Counties will also begin their recount on Tuesday morning, at 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m., respectively. In Macomb county, 65 workers will count ballots every night until 7:30 p.m. until all ballots are counted, according to the Free Press. In Wayne County, recounts will be held at Cobo Center in Detroit with 75 teams of two people counting under watch of a guard, according to the Free Press.
The Secretary of State certified
last Monday that Trump holds a 10,704 vote lead in Michigan in the initial count. The State's Election Commission has said it hopes to finish the recount by Dec. 10.