Whitmer extends state of emergency through May 28
After the Republican-controlled legislature denied an extension of the emergency and disaster declaration set to expire April 30 at midnight, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed three new executive orders to continue Michigan’s state of emergency and disaster.
The new orders will be in effect through May 28. Whitmer said one of her main goals is to make sure health care workers and first responders have the tools they need to continue to save lives. In a press release, Whitmer said she is disappointed with members of the legislature who were not in favor of extending the state of emergency and disaster.
The order comes after hundreds of protesters gathered in and around the Capitol on Wednesday.
“While some members of the legislature might believe this crisis is over, common sense and all of the scientific data tell us we’re not out of the woods yet,” Whitmer said. “By refusing to extend the emergency and disaster declaration, Republican lawmakers are putting their heads in the sand and putting more lives and livelihoods at risk. I’m not going to let that happen.”
Although the spread of COVID-19 has begun to slow, Whitmer said the statewide effort to fight the disease is still ongoing. So far, there have been 41,379 cases and 3,789 deaths in Michigan.
The three executive orders include terminating the existing state of emergency and disaster declarations, clarifying the state of emergency and disaster, and declaring a new state of disaster and emergency.
In addition, Whitmer signed a fourth executive order extending the previous order that closed places of public accommodation like theaters, bars and casinos. This order also limits restaurants to take-out and delivery,
Republican lawmakers in the state House and Senate are expected to take Whitmer to court over her extension of the emergency orders.
Daily Staff Reporter Brayden Hirsch can be reached at email@example.com