Letter to the Editor: Planned Parenthood should lose its federal funding

BY ANNA PAONE
Elise Aikman

As members of the University of Michigan Students for Life and counter demonstrators at the March 26 Planned Parenthood rally and Walk for Choice, we would like to elaborate upon our reasons for attending.

One of the Planned Parenthood supporters quoted in a Michigan Daily article (Planned Parenthood supporters protest proposed slash to funding, 03/28/2010) said abortion only comprises 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s services. However, this statistic is misleading.

Planned Parenthood performed 305,310 abortions in 2007, according to its 2008 annual report (contrast this with 4,912 referrals to outside adoption agencies). The average abortion costs between $400 and $450. This means that Planned Parenthood’s total income from abortions is at least $122,124,000. The total health center income is listed as $374,700,000 in the same annual report. Therefore, abortion accounts for about 30.6 percent of Planned Parenthood’s income.

We are not interested in taking away health care services for women and children. Rather, we want the public to be aware of these facts in order to realize why defunding Planned Parenthood is so crucial. There are many truly non-profit organizations, like our local ArborVitae Women’s Center, which deserve a greater degree of public support.

This letter was written by LSA sophomore Anna Paone, LSA junior Elise Aikman, LSA freshman Joseph Lipa and LSA sophomore Carmen Allen on behalf of Students for Life.