Viewpoint: Winning the battle for blood

BY LAUREL FRICKER

When I returned to campus for my sophomore year, my personal goal was that by the end of November, every single student as well as faculty and staff member on the University of Michigan’s campus would have heard the words “Blood Battle” at least once, and hopefully even know for what they stood. I am afraid I have not yet successfully completed my goal.

Blood Battle is the annual competition hosted by the student organization Blood Drives United. It occurs in November between the University and Ohio State University to see which school can collect the most pints of blood. The University has won five out of the past six years and has an overall record of 19 wins, 12 losses and one tie during the competition’s 33-year history. However, without your help, that loss tally might become a 13 during the course of the next week.

Appointment counts are extremely low, and every single pint matters, both in the competition and in terms of saving lives. Your pint of blood can save three lives, and if you were to donate every 56 days from the time you turned 17 until you reached 76 years old, you would have donated 48 gallons of blood, potentially helping save more than 1,000 lives. And as we are quickly approaching the holiday season, your pint is needed more than ever, as fewer people donate during these months.

If I could donate more than once or even just show you how much passion the five of us Executive Officers of Blood Drives United have, I would in a heartbeat. We have been tirelessly promoting and organizing this competition for the past eight months, but there is only so much the five of us can do. We cannot donate the competition’s goal of 2,500 pints of blood ourselves — we desperately need you.

There are only four blood drives left on campus to help us save lives and beat OSU. Make an appointment at redcrossblood.org with the sponsor code ‘goblue’ or just walk in and donate — and bring all of your friends! Also, all presenting donors receive a free T-shirt and buy-one-get-one Pizza House milkshake coupon. Please consider donating, and a huge thank you to those who already have. Do you bleed maize and blue? If so, help us beat OSU.

Thursday Nov. 20 in the South Quad Game Room from 2-8 p.m.
Thursday Nov. 20 in the Union Ballroom from 2-8 p.m.
Friday Nov. 21 in the Hatcher Graduate Library Gallery from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friday Nov. 21 in the Union Ballroom from 12-6 p.m.

Need another reason to donate? Check out the short news piece from Local 4 about a girl who needs thousands of donors to donate blood on her behalf.

Laurel Fricker is an LSA sophomore and an executive officer of Blood Drives United.