October 21, 2021

Good morning,

Welcome to the Oct. 21 edition of the Weekly Roundup. However you spent the long weekend, we at The Michigan Daily hope you had a rejuvenating and stress-free break. 

This week, Daily Sports analyzes the success of the Michigan hockey team after national polls ranked them the top hockey team in the country, a Michigan in Color columnist dissects the truths and shortfalls of  representation in “Legally Blonde,” and our photographers document some of the in-person experiences that we’re so glad are back.

SportsWednesday: Late game resilience shows why Michigan deserves to be No. 1

Very few of the Michigan hockey players have faced the largest pressures of college hockey until this past weekend, when they played No. 5 Minnesota Duluth and then-No. 1 Minnesota State in the Ice Breaker Tournament. After a successful weekend, the Wolverines took the number 1 spot in both national polls just four games into the season.

The games over the weekend were hard fought battles. Michigan found themselves down during both contests, but that did not diminish their determination. Instead, they clawed their way back, overcoming early mistakes attributed to inexperienced players and establishing their identity on the ice. The unmatched level of talent on this roster will take this team far, despite their youth.

Michigan in Color: Unpacking ‘Legally Blonde’

Upon recognizing the ease in which Elle Woods successfully attains her law degree in “Legally Blonde,” it is imperative to understand where the movie falls short. The femininity that is expected of women in professional spaces is certainly highlighted, whereas privileges of fragility, femininity and innocence that women of color do not share are disregarded.

The graduate school application process, as well as standardized tests like the LSAT, are racially and culturally biased. White LSAT takers have scored significantly higher than minority test-takers because of prior educational disparities, socioeconomic status, family structure and status that all play a role in the prevalent score gap.

“I think we all find common ground in wanting to pave our own paths when most odds are built against us,” writes MiC columnist Reem Hassan. “And it is this ‘What, like it’s hard?’ mentality that I hope to embody within my law career and beyond. Yes, it is hard, but should the standards put forth by a white, patriarchal society stop me from wanting to achieve my dreams? Absolutely not.”

Photo Essay: What we’re glad is back

The past two years have changed our college experience in ways that we could not have imagined. While the pandemic is not over, we’ve returned to classes in-person, started to attend events and see people we’d only met over Zoom. The Daily’s Photo staff documented some of the experiences that we’re glad are back this semester.

Faculty, staff and employees make up the majority of positive COVID-19 test results as reported by UHS and OHS over the last four weeks. 

Since Sept. 19, the non-student population has averaged 49 cases per week, while the average number of weekly student cases is 32, according to the U-M COVID-19 dashboard. During that time, student test positivity has ranged from 0.5% to 0.8%, while the non-student rate was lowest at 0.8% and has peaked at 2.8% this week. 

U-M students make up just 5% of Washtenaw County cases despite representing more than 10% of the population. 

97% of students and faculty are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, while 89% of employees and 88% of staff are fully vaccinated.

The biggest news, Tweets, events of interest (and maybe some jokes) captured from Twitter.

Michigan-themed Halloween costume ideas

Enjoying reading The Daily’s newsletters? We have three more newsletters — one that comes out daily, one focused on Ann Arbor news and another focused on University faculty and staff affairs — that you can subscribe to here.

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER