November 18, 2021

Good morning,

Welcome to the Nov. 18 edition of the Weekly Roundup. We hope everyone is getting through the last week before Thanksgiving break! We’ll be back in your inbox next week with lots of Michigan-OSU rivalry content to enjoy, but for now, here’s this week’s news. 

Mounting reports of sexual assault and the University’s handling of allegations prompt a reckoning from the campus community, The Michigan Daily dissects Taylor Swift’s recent drop of  “Red (Taylor’s Version),” and Ann Arbor landlords find loopholes in new rental policies. 

From Anderson to Conforth to the Public Policy school: Focus on issue of sexual assault intensifies on campus

The U-M community is currently facing a reckoning over the issue of sexual misconduct on campus due to cases from both the past and present. Survivors of the abuse of former U-M doctor Robert Anderson and former U-M lecturer Bruce Confroth held a forum on Saturday during which they criticized the administration’s response to those cases. At the same forum, Jonathan Vaughn, an Anderson survivor who has been leading a protest outside University President Mark Schlissel’s house since Oct. 8, announced that he intends to run for the University’s Board of Regents in next year’s elections. 

Students in the Ford School of Public Policy also walked out of class Friday in response to the admission of a graduate student who was found by his undergraduate school to have committed sexual assault. As both the Central Student Government and LSA Student Government hold elections for next year’s positions, many candidates have made the issue of sexual misconduct a key focus in their campaign. The Faculty Senate Assembly recently met with the director of the new Equity, Civil Rights and Title IX office to discuss sexual misconduct reporting policies and University responses, but many were left dissatisfied by the conversation.

‘Red (Taylor’s Version)’ revives a timeless classic

The original release of Red in 2012 polarized fans of Taylor Swift. The album, which marks Swift’s transition from country to pop, was criticized for its lack of cohesion but praised by fans for expertly capturing her life at the moment. Nine years later, Swift has reworked the original album to perfection. Complementing the original lineup are 10 bonus tracks that round-out her deeply personal tracklist.   

Her highly anticipated bonus track “All Too Well (10 minute version)” was accompanied by a short film directed by Swift. The short film and song — largely believed to be about her relationship with Jake Gyllenhaal — have reignited discourse on age gaps and the details of her relationship with Gyllenhaal. 

Students raise concerns about housing waitlists, other loopholes to Early Leasing Ordinance

Some students have expressed frustration with their landlord’s attempts to circumvent Ann Arbor’s new early leasing ordinance. The ordinance, which was signed in September, guaranteed tenants the “right to renew” until 150 days before the end of their lease. It aimed to put an end to the early and hectic leasing season that typically characterizes students’ searches for off-campus housing. 

However, landlords have used tactics such as paid reservations and voluntary waitlists to pressure students. Rackham student Lucy Peterson told The Daily that some landlords are “counting on tenants being afraid and isolated and worried about their housing to get them to renew.” 

Last week, the University announced that this semester’s masking and vaccination requirements will remain in effect for Winter 2022. Students who are unvaccinated will continue to be required to be tested weekly through the Community Sampling and Tracking Program. The majority of classes will be offered in person next semester. 

The announcement comes after the University has seen a significant rise in COVID-19 cases since late October, attributed to socialization without masks and traveling over Fall Break. Prior to that, student cases on campus had been relatively stable. While case counts are higher, the vast majority of those infected were either asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms. 98% of the student population is fully vaccinated.

The biggest news, Tweets, events of interest (and maybe some jokes) captured from Twitter.

Photo Essay: A morning at the Ann Arbor Farmers Market

The Rivalry edition is here!

The Game is right around the corner, and we’re kicking off our third annual fundraising competition against Ohio State’s paper, The Lantern. A win for The Michigan Daily is a win for student journalism. Donate here.

We are also producing a joint publication with The Lantern ahead of the historic football rivalry game. Read our coverage here.

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER