December 2, 2021

Good morning,

Welcome to the Dec. 2 edition of the Weekly Roundup. We hope you have taken in the glory of the big win last Saturday against Ohio State and are enjoying the last couple days of class. 

This week, The Michigan Daily tracks how classes are filling up as students across the University of Michigan register for the Winter 2022 term, the football team prepares for yet another season-defining game, and student groups work to hold the University accountable for the racism of past U-M leaders.

Registration tracker: See which courses are filling up

Still picking out classes for next semester? Not sure if you’ll be able to get into that discussion section? There are over 2,600 lectures, seminars, recitations and independent studies available for students to register for in the Winter 2022 semester. To help you curate your perfect schedule, The Daily created an interactive tracker that allows students to see how many seats are open in every class at the University.

Michigan’s coaching staff has put extra emphasis on preparation this season. Allison Engkvist/Daily. Buy this photo.

Michigan stays true to its preparation ahead of Big Ten Championship Game

Michigan football’s dramatic win over Ohio State thrust the team into the Big Ten Championship game for the first time since the game’s inception and gave the team its first chance at winning the Big Ten since 2004. The team is focusing on preparing for its matchup against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Saturday, well aware of the stakes of this game and setting aside the elation of last weekend’s domination of its rival. 

Graphic by SoJung Ham/Daily.

Addressing Angell

Though many students spend much of their time in Angell Hall, whether it be going to class, tabling for an organization or printing out a last-minute paper, most people aren’t aware of former University President James Burrill Angell’s legacy. Members of South Asian Awareness Network, United Asian American Organizations, Central Student Government and LSA Student Government came together to discuss the implications of the Treaty of Angell that Angell negotiated, which paved the way for the passage of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, one of the most racist immigration bills in American history. These organizations have called on the University to admit to their oppressive history and commit to transformative justice.

The University saw an increase in testing but decrease in positive cases over Thanksgiving week. Most positive cases were either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, according to the U-M COVID-19 dashboard

The University is recommending that students get booster shots, following the CDC’s updated guidance that every person 18 years old and older should get the additional shot. The University is not yet requiring booster doses, as the CDC still considers those who received two-dose or single-dose series to be fully vaccinated.

The biggest news, Tweets, events of interest (and maybe some jokes) captured from Twitter.

Allison Engkvist/Daily. Buy this photo.

Game-By-Frame: Michigan vs. Ohio State

How to get a paper

Interested in owning a copy of The Michigan Daily after Michigan football’s big win on Saturday against Ohio State? 

Though physical copies of The Daily’s print edition containing stories about Saturday’s game have largely diminished at our printstands, you can still order copies to be mailed to you. For information on how to order a mailed copy, see here.  

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER