September 23, 2021

Good morning,

Welcome to the Sept. 23 edition of the Weekly Roundup. How fitting is it that the temperature dropped in Ann Arbor yesterday to ring in the first full day of fall? We can almost hear the crunch of the red and yellow leaves under our feet as we walk across the Diag.  

This week, The Daily publishes an anonymous op-ed from a Dr. Anderson survivor; covers the grand opening of the small-format State Street Target as it welcomes eager and hungry students; follows Michigan Football as it prepares for Big Ten play and more.

Op-Ed: I am a Michigan Man, and this is my Dr. Anderson story

“I was a Michigan Man. A student-athlete. As a Michigan Man you live by standards others dare to attain. …“And because I, along with the hundreds of other male student-athlete survivors of Anderson were ‘Michigan Men,’ our experiences and traumas are largely unknown outside of Michigan and continue to be marginalized in a unique way. Because we were ‘Michigan Men,’ the atrocities we encountered and traumas that continue to haunt us today are somehow lessened, swept under the rug in the shadow of our perceived strength and size. As if ‘Michigan Men’ were built to endure the pain.”

A survivor and former student-athlete shares his account in a Daily op-ed and calls for Michigan fans everywhere to stand up against the former Michigan doctor’s sexual abuse.

It’s official, Ann Arbor: Target opens at 231 S. State Street

On Tuesday, a Target location officially opened at 231 S. State Street in downtown Ann Arbor, the former location of Urban Outfitters. The “small format” store, which was announced in December 2020, provides a specifically curated selection of goods designed to appeal to students on campus.

University of Michigan students have previously raised concerns about the lack of a more affordable grocery store within a walkable distance to campus. The addition of this Target will offer students a walkable, convenient grocery option.

Michigan maintains underdog mentality despite early success

A calamitous 2020 season resulted in the Michigan football team entering the 2021 campaign as a national afterthought, a first under coach Jim Harbaugh. But that perception is beginning to change. Having outscored their opponents 141-34 through three games, the Wolverines find themselves ranked 19th in this week’s AP Poll.

The true test of the team’s new-look culture will come with the inevitable adversity. And as it heads into the gauntlet of Big Ten play, Michigan is sticking to the same underdog mentality it shaped in the offseason.

U-M officials report COVID-19 activity has decreased among U-M students compared to last week, and test positivity rates for both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals are also on a downward trend. Quarantine housing is at 14.2% occupancy which is significantly less than its peak of almost 40% two weeks ago. 

Michigan Medicine has administered 150,077 total vaccination doses as of Wednesday evening, according to its website. Further, 95% of students, 82% of staff and 95% of faculty have reported they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The University reports 113 positive COVID-19 cases in the last 12 days, according to updates posted on the COVID-19 dashboard.

• CSG passes resolution to expand COVID-19 safety measures
  • Michigan Republicans ask federal court to block Whitmer campaign donations
  • ‘Our classroom is our domain’: Faculty governance members criticize UMich’s process to request teaching remotely
  • Ann Arbor landlords file lawsuit against new early leasing restrictions
  • First Entheofest draws hundreds to UMich Diag to celebrate decriminalization of psychedelics
  • Michigan men’s soccer fails to complete second-half comeback, falls to Notre Dame, 3-1
  • From The Daily: It’s time for more comprehensive COVID measures
  • Op-Ed: There’s nothing righteous about vaccine exemptions
  • Drake sees no reason to change the formula on ‘Certified Lover Boy’
  • Adoption and belonging in ‘Blue Bayou’
  • From footprints to festifalls: relearning a non-virtual reality
  • Giving hometowns a second chance
  • Existing between two hard questions
  • Horoscopes (9/21-9/27): Libra season and Mercury retrograde

The biggest news, Tweets, events of interest (and maybe some jokes) captured from Twitter.

What Are UMich Students Listening To?

Follow Michigan Sports!

Michigan fall athletics is in full swing! If you want to stay updated on the latest games and your favorite student athletes, follow The Michigan Daily Sports Twitter and check out our articles on the Sports section of the homepage.

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER