July 27, 2022
Welcome to the July 27 edition of the Monthly Roundup. We hope you’re beating the heat and taking some time to GTL before the Fall semester starts.
This month, Santa Ono was named and approved by the Board of Regents as the 15th President of the University of Michigan, Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh speaks at an anti-choice event and more.
You haven’t heard? Santa’s coming to town! The Board of Regents named and confirmed Santa Ono to serve as the University of Michigan’s 15th President on July 13. Ono – who hails from the president position at the University of British Columbia – is replacing Mark Schlissel, who was fired in January for having an affair with a subordinate. Ono’s term will officially start on Oct. 13 with a base salary of $975,000. To read more about Ono’s credentials and the Regent’s special meeting to appoint him, check out these Daily articles.
Johnathan Vaughn is a Michigan Man through and through. From playing for the Wolverines football team to returning to protest the handling of sexual assault allegations against former U-M doctor. Robert Anderson, of whom Vaughn is a survivor, MiC columnist Sarah Akaaboune chronicles how the University made Jon Vaughn the man he is today.
Jim Harbaugh spoke at an anti-abortion fundraiser in Plymouth, Michigan. While this is not the first time Harbaugh spoke against abortion, the decision to speak feels more pertinent as it comes just weeks after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, ending the national right to obtain abortion services.
- What we don’t say out loud
- Michigan Court of Claims restores 2018 petition initiative, increases minimum wage
- UMich African American Student Project launches Black student database through 1970
- 340+ UMich medical students sign petition opposing selection of anti-abortion speaker at upcoming white coat ceremony
- Michigan sends 16 current skaters to NHL development camps
- USC and UCLA to join Big Ten conference
- Michigan ballot initiative for abortion access gathers nearly 800,000 signatures
- I want to be beautiful like the ocean
- Summer bodies don’t exist
- For Highland Park, Illinois, or Anytown, USA
- Seven songs that hit different in the summer
- Stop treating PAs at UHS as second-class providers
The biggest news, Tweets, events of interest (and maybe some jokes) captured from Twitter.
How to stay up-to-date over the summer
Interested in relaxing by reading The Daily after a long day of your summer internship? Or perhaps looking for something to read during a restful pool or beach day?
The Daily has you covered. You can find copies of The Daily on our print stands all over campus and Ann Arbor every Wednesday to stay updated on all the latest University and Ann Arbor news. Not in Ann Arbor for the summer? You can read all the latest news at michigandaily.com, which is still publishing new articles every day. Happy reading!
© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.
VIEW IN BROWSER