November 9, 2022

Good morning,

Happy Wednesday, Maynard Street Blitz Day or whatever you want to call it.

My weekend plans were epic, but not as epic as the Michigan football team’s. The Wolverines played under the lights in Piscataway Saturday Night against Rutgers, the pride of New Jersey. After a slow start, Michigan ran away with the game in the second half, extending its record to 9-0.

The No.1 Michigan hockey team also traveled to Happy Valley to take on Penn State, where it then lost the top spot before evening up the series with an overtime winner from – you guessed it – Adam Fantilli. It seems like I talk about this guy every week, but I’m not complaining.

The men’s basketball team tipped off its season Monday night with a win, and DubHoops (as we call it at The Daily) has a showdown scheduled against Delaware tonight.

Almost all of our favorite college sports are finally back. Don’t worry, baseball and softball, we miss you guys too.

Things are heating up. And that’s just how we like it. Read on for more about the thing we all hold dear: sports!

Sam Adler/Daily. Buy this photo.

Be a goldfish’: Michigan hockey’s rebound mentality

Oh, boy. Just reading that title makes me hungry. I digress.

On Saturday night, fresh off the heels of a 3-0 loss to Penn State, Michigan knew it had to rebound in a big way to escape Happy Valley unscathed.

And that’s exactly what the Wolverines did, tapping into the mind of a goldfish to quickly forget Friday night’s ugly performance.

“Kent (Johnson) always used to say: ‘Be a goldfish,’ ” sophomore forward Mackie Samoskevich said. “Like how their memories are short term, … you just gotta leave it behind you.”

The alum’s words proved fitting for Michigan, and unlike most Wolverines, allowed the team to swim to a much-needed series equalizer.

Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

Michigan handles Purdue Fort Wayne in season opener

All offseason long, questions arose over who could be a spark for Michigan when necessary. Junior center Hunter Dickinson’s contributions were expected, but after immense roster turnover for the Wolverines, who was going to give him some help?

The answer: just about everybody.

Graduate guard Joey Baker helped Michigan improve upon last season’s shooting woes, while freshman wing Jett Howard brought the energy to the floor, hitting two threes and tallying a block in just one minute of play.

Early on in the season, it looks like the Wolverines will be a deep squad.

“In a slow-moving game, Michigan struggled to score at a fast pace with its starters on the bench for the majority of the second half,” Daily Sports Editor Lily Israel writes. “But the rotation players did their job, biding time for the starters and holding onto a double-digit lead. And when the starters did return, it was Dickinson and Jett that provided the scoring spark the Wolverines longed for to truly put the game out of reach.”

Things are looking promising in Ann Arbor. Only time will tell if they stay that way.

Emma Mati/Daily. Buy this photo.

After a slow start, Michigan takes down Rutgers 52-17

On Saturday night, it wasn’t always smooth sailing for Michigan.

Even with the final score being 52-17, the Wolverines actually trailed Rutgers at halftime, 17-14, the first time they have had a halftime deficit all season.

But when both teams rushed back out of the tunnel, Michigan made its mark. Specifically, its defense.

Forcing three turnovers, the unit set the tone, especially graduate linebacker Mike Barrett, who called upon his teammates to make a play.

But it was Barrett who would ultimately do what he asked, as he intercepted and returned the ball to the 10-yard line to turn the tides. Mere minutes later, Barrett returned another interception, this time for a touchdown and giving the Wolverines a 35-17 lead. Suddenly, the game was out of reach, and Michigan never looked back.

“We all know what kind of team we are,” Barrett said. “We were all just going around motivating each other, telling everybody that the second half was ours.”

And due to Barrett’s own efforts, Michigan left Piscataway unscathed.

Field Hockey: Michigan beats Northwestern, winning eighth Big Ten Championship

Volleyball: In Michigan loss to Purdue, lack of execution is glaring

Swim and Dive: Michigan men’s swim and dive dominates, beats Northwestern

Volleyball: Michigan volleyball swept by Minnesota

Hannah Torres/Daily. Buy this photo.

21 days to build a habit’: Michigan focusing on expanding its rebounding prowess

Ahead of tonight’s season opener, Michigan is taking an interesting approach to one of its most glaring ineptitudes after Naz Hillmon’s departure: rebounding.

Hillmon averaged 9.6 rebounds last season for the Wolverines, and it’s clear that they need to find a solution to their loss. 

The solution? Dr. Maxwell Maltz’s 21-day rule theory.

Simply put, Maltz claims that in order to adopt a habit, you need 21 days of practice. 

And luckily for Michigan, the Wolverines may just have a window to do so.

“Michigan has time to build up its rebounding strength, though, as it faces lower-level competition for the first month of the season,” Daily Sports Writer Lindsay Budin writes. “If it can keep growing — slowly but surely — the Wolverines can begin to nurture strong rebounders in both the frontcourt and backcourt.”

Emma Mati/Daily. Buy this photo.

Rutgers +10.5 (-120) @ Michigan State

The Scarlet Knights were keeping up with Michigan in the first half, even bringing a lead into the tunnel. Rutgers is quite the stingy team and they’ll hang in there against Michigan State, especially in an off-year for the Spartans.

Michigan -29.5 (-110) vs. Nebraska

Michigan likes to make statements. After trailing at the half by three against Rutgers, they came out and bullied the Scarlet Knights for the next 30 minutes of play, ultimately winning by 35. Sure, Nebraska gave the Wolverines trouble last year. But that was in the cornfields. Look for Michigan to continue its undefeated season in front of a raucous Ann Arbor crowd.

Iowa +1.5 (-114) vs. Wisconsin

Iowa’s defense is legit and the one constant heading into this contest. Wisconsin has been inconsistent all season long. I like the Hawkeyes to at least cover due to their defensive prowess, if not win outright.

Enjoyed reading this newsletter? Want even more content from The Daily? Click here to subscribe to our four other newsletters, and be sure to pick up a print copy of The Daily every Wednesday.

© 2022 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER