October 19, 2022

Good morning,

Welcome back to another edition of the Maynard Street Blitz. The University of Michigan had its Fall Break over the last four days, but here at The Daily, we take no days off. You could say we are stupidly locked in.

And so is the Michigan football team. On Saturday, the Wolverines bullied Sean Clifford in a massive win over Penn State. The Nittany Lions had more touchdowns than first downs in the first half of the tilt. Don’t ask me how that happened. But Michigan responded well to adversity, running for a whopping 418 yards en route to the win.

Boston University also came to town for a weekend series with the Michigan hockey team. The Wolverines trounced the Terriers, 9-2, in Friday’s showdown, but the offense was quieted in a 3-2 loss on Sunday — the first of the young season.

Oh, and media days for the Michigan men’s and women’s basketball teams happened last week in Minneapolis. Big things!

But enough about that stuff. The Michigan Daily’s 7-on-7 touch football game against The State News is less than two weeks away! Cleats are being purchased, routes are being run and practices are being held. It’s now or never, baby.

So yes, things are heating up. And oh yes, do we love it.

Sports are fun. Let’s read about them.

Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

Josh Taubman: With statement win, Michigan reinforces its own narrative

Entering Saturday, the same thing was being said about Michigan: Its opponents were too easy and the team hadn’t truly been battle-tested yet.

Despite trouncing Iowa in a tough road environment, the Wolverines were still written off. They just hadn’t been tested yet.

On Saturday, things changed. 

After weeks of wondering how Michigan would play against a top-10 opponent, the Wolverines delivered, defeating Penn State, 41-17.

As Daily Sports Editor Josh Taubman puts it, “The Wolverines passed (the test) with flying colors.”

Learn more about Michigan’s season-defining victory.

Emma Mati/Daily. Buy this photo.

Freshmen shine bright in Michigan’s trouncing of Boston University

Hype built for Michigan hockey’s freshmen class over the summer. With incoming players such as Rutger McGroarty, Seamus Casey and Adam Fantilli all taking the ice in the fall, the excitement was off the charts.

These young Wolverines showed exactly why on Friday night.

It was a complete freshmen effort for Michigan in a 9-2 beatdown of BU. Casey poured in two goals, while McGroarty also tallied his first as a Wolverine. Fantilli chipped in, too, adding three assists. The game was never in doubt, and the freshmen were the reason why.

“It’s awesome, these guys all have an opportunity to get out there and fight for the opportunity to get ice time,” Michigan coach Brandon Naurato said. “And they’re fighting to prove that they can stay in these spots on special teams and five-on-five.”

Selena Sun/Daily. Buy this photo.

How August trip to Europe benefited Michigan

After an offseason of tremendous roster turnaround for the Michigan men’s basketball team, questions were raised about the state of this year’s crop of talent.

But with the help of a summer trip to Europe, the Wolverines are attempting to quiet those concerns.

Many members of the team didn’t even know one another before the trip began. But now, Michigan’s team is closer than ever.

“In Paris, I think it was pretty important for us to just learn about each other,” freshman wing Youssef Khayat said Friday during Michigan Media Day. “I didn’t know anybody personally, but after this trip I think I knew what everybody is about and what the coaching staff is about. So, I think we’re a big family and the Europe trip helped us a lot.”

Continue on for more on the Wolverines’ bonding experience.

Men’s Soccer: Freshmen dazzle in offensive eruption

Women’s Soccer: Offensive woes continue as Big Ten Tournament hopes wane

Field Hockey: Defensive pressure leads to shutout against Iowa

Volleyball: Poise under pressure proves vital in sweep of Michigan State

Jeremy Weine/Daily. Buy this photo.

Corum, Edwards show full capabilities in dominant performance against Penn State

Another Saturday, another dominant rushing performance for Michigan running backs.

In running back coach Mike Hart’s return to the Wolverines following a medical scare, junior Blake Corum and sophomore Donovan Edwards put on a show.

They tallied four touchdowns and over 300 yards in Michigan’s big victory over Penn State, and without them, the game would have gone in a different direction. And to the Wolverines, this comes as no surprise.

“Saturday’s game, in a way, highlighted everything that Corum and Edwards have worked on,” Managing Sports Editor Jared Greenspan writes. “Corum put on 12 pounds in the offseason with the idea of adding a little more power to his game while also retaining his trademark speed. Edwards, meanwhile, has bided his time since arriving as a five-star recruit, confident a breakout of this sort would happen.”

Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

Charles Oliveira (+145) vs. Islam Makhachev

The champion has a name. It’s Charles Oliveira. After being forced to vacate the UFC Lightweight Championship due to weight issues in May, Oliveira is on a revenge tour. It started by choking out Justin Gaethje that next day in May. It will continue this Saturday in Abu Dhabi. Oliveira may fall behind early in the fight like he tends to, but he holds the submission record in the UFC for a reason. Look for him to pick up a big win and regain his vacated title.

Cardinals (-100) vs. Saints

The Saints are banged up. Coming off of a heartbreaking loss against the Bengals, things don’t look good for them in a short week against the Cardinals. Now Arizona is by no means a good team, but did I mention they’re getting DeAndre Hopkins back? Yeah. Look for the Cardinals to right the ship Thursday night.

Patriots (-8) vs. Bears – -110

Let me get this straight. The Bears suck. Going up against one of the league’s premier defenses is bound to be a nightmare for Justin Fields. This game will get out of hand, fast. And the contest might even feature the return of Mac Jones. Need I say more?

Enjoyed reading this newsletter? Want even more content from The Daily? Click here to subscribe to our four other newsletters, and be sure to pick up a print copy of The Daily every Wednesday.

© 2022 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER