October 5, 2021

Courtesy of Navya Gupta.

City Council looks to mandate energy and water benchmarking for city buildings

The Ann Arbor City Council passed the first reading for an ordinance to mandate energy and water benchmarking for certain buildings in the City to promote efficient use of energy and water and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. There needs to be final approval by the City Council before this ordinance can go into effect. 

Design by Riley Montgomery

From Facebook to Venmo: How students are getting scammed out of Michigan football tickets

The Daily spoke with several students who fell victim to online football ticket scams in order to identify risk factors of a scam. Major red flags include the seller putting pressure on the buyer to pay for the ticket quickly and in full before receiving it, the seller demanding payment on unfamiliar payment apps, and the seller’s Facebook account not clearly indicating whether or not they are students. Students can avoid scams by using familiar payment apps such as Venmo and verifying sellers’ student status on MCommunity.

File Photo/Daily. Buy this photo.

Ann Arbor hosts annual Green Fair to promote A2Zero carbon neutrality goals

The Ann Arbor Green Fair was held on Friday, as a way to promote the city’s goal of carbon neutrality. The City promoted the A2Zero initiative, which seeks to have Ann Arbor be carbon neutral by 2030. Ann Arbor Mayor Christopher Taylor spoke at the fair and highlighted the importance of the University in helping the city achieve its carbon neutrality goal, noting that the University accounts for one-third of the carbon emissions in the county.

Dominick Sokotoff/Daily. Buy this photo.

‘You have to be a little eclectic:’ New UMich planetarium manager teaches community on finding constellations in the night sky

This image is from the official ‘Montero’ album cover, owned by Columbia Records.

Lil Nas X’s ‘Montero’: Pop, elevated

Lil Nas X’s first full-feature album, ‘Montero,’ is proof that his talent extends beyond singles. The album incorporates several genres in order to convey topics ranging from his mental health to his experiences as a gay man. The album has large appeal due to its melodic pop nature and Lil Nas X’s talent, and is likely to be a hit for years to come.

Design by Mellisa Lee

’90s spotlight: the ever enamoring ‘Goodfellas’

This image is from the official trailer for “After We Fell,” distributed by Voltage Pictures.

‘After We Fell’ and the complex art of fanfiction

The Miseducation Project is a platform connected to, but separate from, The Michigan Daily’s newspaper product. We work to cultivate a digital museum archive featuring art from students of color. The Miseducation Project views art as non-definitive (we review submissions of all forms, including traditional art, graphic design, music, dance, theater, code, mathematics, writing, etc.).

As we begin curating our next exhibit, loosely themed “Respiration,” we are opening submissions to artists who have completed works of art, or art projects they want to pursue. Click here to get involved in an upcoming exhibition.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER