October 14, 2021

UMich libraries keeps most pandemic-time hours, citing labor shortages

Before COVID-19, some U-M libraries were available for students late into the night, but since the pandemic, those hours have vastly changed. All libraries but one, the U-M Biological Station, remain closed from midnight until 9 a.m. the next day, leaving many students stranded looking for a quiet place to study. The library staff are aware of student frustrations and are working to expand them going forward, but they attribute the early closures to staffing shortages.

1985 Nobel laureate Klaus von Klitzing gives 29th annual Ta-You Wu lecture

Dr. Klaus Von Klitzing, who won the Nobel Prize in physics in 1985 for discovering the quantum Hall effect, spoke to more than 100 members of the U-M community in the Rackham Amphitheater. Von Klitzing was supposed to address the U-M community at the 29th annual Ta-You Wu lecture in 2020, but the event was postponed until this year due to COVID-19.

Jett Howard Commits to Michigan

Michigan picked up the fourth member of its 2022 class, Jett Howard, coach Juwan Howard’s son, Wednesday afternoon. Howard reportedly changed his mind after verbally committing to Tennessee on Monday. He is ranked 37th nationally in his class according to 247 Sports, is the fourth four-star to join the Wolverines’ 2022 class and the third top 100 player.

The art of the code switch

A young woman's back is shown as she walks through a dark, ominous grocery store aisle.

Fever dreams and corporate schemes

Reflections on U.S. capitalism through the eyes of a confused grocery store customer. After entering the store, the protagonist in this fiction story encounters representations of the economic issues prevalent in our society.

An origami bird.

The incomplete book of origami

Bagely: Uncut

Pick up this week’s print edition of The Michigan Daily at news stands around Ann Arbor!

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER