October 1, 2021

Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

Anderson and Nassar survivors testify at hearing, express support for house bills protecting survivors of abuse

The Michigan Legislature held a hearing for two bipartisan bills known as the Empowering Survivors Legislative Package. The bills aim to protect victims of sexual assault in Michigan. Victims of former U-M doctor Robert Anderson and MSU gymnastics coach Larry Nassar testified about the trauma they experienced. These bills come in response to backlash against the universities for what activists have described as apathy towards survivors.

Design by Jessica Chiu

“I feel like I am almost a burden”: Student parents face hardships with in-person, virtual pandemic accommodations

Student parents are struggling with the University’s return to normal, harboring concerns about infecting their unvaccinated children with COVID-19 and troubles arranging for childcare. After learning over the summer that some of their remote classes would be taught in person,  these students had to rearrange their class schedules and scramble for childcare.

Alec Cohen/Daily. Buy this photo.

Trial for former UMich CSE Professor Peter Chen to begin Jan. 31

A pretrial hearing was held for former U-M Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Professor Peter Chen, who could face a life-sentence in prison for criminal sexual misconduct in the first degree. Chen resigned as interim chair for Computer Science Engineering in July 2020, citing “personal reasons,” and was charged in January 2021. Chen’s trial is set to start on January 31, 2022.

Megan Young/Daily. Buy this photo.

Why (not) consulting

Alan Yang/MiC.

Nikole Hannah-Jones presents on history, collective memory and the impact of journalism

Nikole Hannah-Jones, New York Times journalist and creator of The 1619 Project, addressed the U-M community in the Rackham Auditorium about The 1619 Project’s impact on our current educational, social and political landscape. Hannah-Jones spoke of the backlash she received for the project, explaining its rapid progression into an “intense disinformation campaign” executed through social media and mainstream conservative news platforms who actively worked to pervert the project into some heinous threat to the very integrity of our nation.

Courtesy of Andrew Nakamura/MiC.

Home is where my kitchen is

Graphic by Madison Grosvenor/Daily.

Why I won’t choose between passion and productivity

The Miseducation Project is a platform connected to, but separate from, The Michigan Daily’s newspaper product. We work to cultivate a digital museum archive featuring art from students of color. The Miseducation Project views art as non-definitive (we review submissions of all forms, including traditional art, graphic design, music, dance, theater, code, mathematics, writing, etc.).

As we begin curating our next exhibit, loosely themed “Respiration,” we are opening submissions to artists who have completed works of art, or art projects they want to pursue. Click here to get involved in an upcoming exhibition. 

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER