October 7, 2021

Courtesy of Elissa Welle

Second day of anti-ableism conference calls on UMich to make disability studies a formal academic program

As part of the “Toward an Anti-Ableist Academy” conference hosted by the University of Michigan’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion this month, a panel of five faculty members from the U-M Initiative on Disability Studies met to discuss the future of disability studies at the University. One panelist said that he hopes the disability studies program can help expand disability awareness beyond the humanities circles and into all fields of research at the University.

Courtesy of Liat Weinstein.

City Attorney candidate Atleen Kaur participates in a virtual interview with City Council

City Attorney candidate Atleen Kaur spoke with the City Council of her past work with the city of Ann Arbor and the experience that has prepared her for the role. “The idea of being of service to the residents of Ann Arbor, to bring something good to the community that has given me so much good, really is appealing,” Kaur said. “It does not strike me as something that I can pass up easily.”

With redistricting process underway, some legislators, activists criticize longtime practice of prison gerrymandering

Design by Maggie Weibe

Music in blue: An engulfing

Megan Young/Daily. Buy this photo.

When sustainability feels impossible

Statement Correspondent Sarah Stolar explains why sustainability is so difficult but so important. Climate change is ravaging the planet. Wildlife populations are diminishing rapidly around the world. The Earth is dying — and it’s all our fault. This mantra cycles through her head every day, guiding her actions as she moves through her daily routine.

Katherine Lee/Daily. Buy this photo.

Being a woman and having short hair

Katherine Lee/Daily. Buy this photo.

How a summer of church burnings ignited a new understanding of my religious identity

The Daily is interviewing University President Mark Schlissel this Friday, and we’ll be asking him about the decision to step down early. Send us your questions here and check back at www.michigandaily.com to read the story.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER