November 12, 2021

Schlissel weighs in on academic freedom regarding UMich professor Bright Sheng

The Michigan Daily sat down with President Schlissel to discuss the protests on campus over Dr. Robert Anderson’s sexual abuse and the University’s response. He addressed his lack of direct acknowledgement of the protestors and the University’s ongoing mediation with Anderson survivors. In the second part of the interview, Schlissel discussed the Bright Sheng controversy and the nearly 10% of University employees who are currently unvaccinated.

Ruth Simmons, HBCU president, announced as Winter 2021 Commencement speaker

Ruth Simmons, president of Prairie View A&M University, will deliver the commencement address at the winter graduation ceremony on Dec. 19. Simmons became the first Black president of an Ivy League institution when she became the 18th president of Brown University in 2001. Under her leadership Brown became the first university in the country to disclose its role in profiting off of and perpetuating slavery.

UMich student voting numbers rise 17.7% between 2016 and 2020, report finds

The 2020 National Study of Learning, Voting and Engagement Campus Report, released in October 2021, looked at more than 1,100 college campuses and found an increase of 13% on average at all participating institutions. The University’s overall voting rate was 78.1% compared to a national institutional average of 66%.

Addressing James B. Angell’s legacy: CSG, United Asian American Organizations, South Asian Awareness Network host teach-in

Lessons from my inner child

Does getting older mean getting wiser? Does growing up mean feeling knowledgeable? MiC columnist Yasmine Slimani examines personal growth, what it means to be an adult and her own internal conflict between growing up and staying a child, describing herself as “20 years old, going on 7.” Read more on adulthood and the value of your inner child.

An ode to Animal Crossing

The power of the Spotify playlist

Welcome to The Miseducation Project! Our goal is to redirect The Michigan Daily’s available resources to create a blog-style, multimedia interface. The project features student art — and artists — and themes of perseverance and celebration within traditionally marginalized student communities. This is intended to be a collaborative space, where our team works to provide you with adequate resources and a platform to execute a work, or works, of art. With this project, we hope to expand the lens of journalism, storytelling and digital access to art and artists.

As we begin curating our next exhibit, loosely themed “Respiration,” we are opening submissions to artists who have completed works of art, or art projects they want to pursue. Click here to submit by Monday, Nov. 15.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER