November 5, 2021

‘U’ releases statement on SMTD Professor Bright Sheng

SMTD Professor Bright Sheng has not been reinstated to teach the composition course from which he stepped back, but he continues teaching composition lessons and will teach a regular course load next semester, the University announced Wednesday. Sheng stepped back after facing backlash for showing his students the 1965 version of ‘Othello’ that featured actor Laurence Olivier in blackface. The University’s Office of Equity, Civil Rights and Title IX said they will not investigate Sheng’s course and expressed their support for academic freedom and free speech.

What to watch for: Indiana at No. 7 Michigan

Michigan will face Indiana this Saturday, looking to bounce back from last week’s heartbreaking loss to rival Michigan State. Watch for Michigan’s dominant pass rush to take advantage of Indiana’s inconsistency at quarterback as it renews its fight for a Big Ten title.

UMich study finds women and men have similar emotion variation

A new study from the University of Michigan found there are no significant differences in emotional variability between men and women. Lead researcher and assistant professor of psychology Adriene Beltz said assumptions about emotional volatility in women have historically been used to exclude them from being subjects in scientific research. She hopes her study will lead researchers to repair these past disparities.

The Michigan Daily’s guide to changes in the UMich bus system

A letter to my Spotify

Our Spotify accounts capture the highs and lows of life through music. Michigan in Color columnist Hannah Nguyen reflects on the emotions and memories that her playlists have captured.

Digesting foods as racial metaphors

All my love to Lane Kim

The Opinion section has space in The Michigan Daily for first-person accounts of sexual misconduct and its various implications. In this series, submissions underpinned by the experience of survivors will be published, aiming to highlight their essential perspectives.

To be considered for publication, please submit pieces to Editorial Page Editors Liz Cook (elizcook@umich.edu) and Joel Weiner (jgweiner@umich.edu) by Nov. 14, 2021 at midnight. Read more about submission requirements here

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER