March 8, 2022

Courtesy of Vanessa Kiefer Buy this photo.

Ford School Professor Ann Chih Lin talks U.S. immigration policy and racial justice

On Feb. 17, associate professor of public policy Ann Chih Lin spoke at the Ford School of Public Policy about the intersection of immigration policies and racial bias. By focusing on historical examples of immigration restrictions due to racial discrimination, Lin spoke more about the consequences of prejudice and stereotypes for immigrants who are marginalized and seeking U.S. citizenship. 

Department of Education hosts press release and press conference on the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund

Following the Department of Education’s press release on the funding plan laid out by the American Rescue Plan, the Department of Education held a press conference to promote the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund. Read on to hear about the funding directed towards financial relief for students, Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona’s comments and the lasting impact of Congress’s  failure to pass the Build Back Better Act.

Courtesy of Chen Lyu

Moving beyond Gold-Level: Ann Arbor cyclists want better biking infrastructure

Daily Staff Reporter Chen Lyu explores the changes in Ann Arbor in the past couple of years that led to the League of American Bicyclists naming the city a Gold-level Bicycle Friendly Community in Dec. 2021. Lyu discusses the new projects that are being implemented by the Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority and the increase in biking’s connection to the A2ZERO goal for carbon neutrality. Learn more about inter-campus commuting concerns, biking initiatives in Ann Arbor, the challenge of plowing and clearing ice for winter bikers and more. 

Design by Erin Ruark. Buy this photo.

Saving our news; lessons from the NewsGuild

From The Daily: Focus on COVID-19 as an endemic

As the nation approaches the two-year anniversary of the COVID-19 lockdown, The Michigan Daily Editorial Board discussed COVID-19’s future as an endemic instead of a pandemic. The Board looks back at how the United States was unprepared for the pandemic, what the federal government should be doing to help the pandemic come to an end and the importance of transparent data on the virus going forward.

Design by Younji Jin. Buy this photo.

Advice Column: Group project romance

Design by Serena Shen. Buy this photo.

Bolstering our cyber defenses should be a top priority

Grab a copy of the print edition of The Michigan Daily this Wednesday to see the biggest stories of the semester.

For up-to-the-minute news on the issues most important to faculty and staff, check our website and social media.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER