March 21, 2022

Allison Engkvist/Daily. Buy this photo.

U-M community reflects on only one academic building on campus named after a woman

Out of 85 academic buildings on the U-M campus, only one is named after a woman: Mary Sue Coleman Hall. Renamed from the Life Sciences Building in March 2021, the building represents a larger lack of representation both in the names of campus buildings and in the people who decide those names. Read on to learn more about the University’s naming process and how students are pushing for a spot at the table.

Sydney Verlinde/Daily. Buy this photo.

Metamorphosis: NOiR holds “Evolve” show at the Michigan Union, raises funds for Freedom House Detroit

NOiR Runway Fashion held their capstone fashion show at the Michigan Union on Saturday. NOiR was able to raise $3,000 for Freedom House Detroit while also showcasing local designers such as William Palmer Hommé and Sabrina Spanta. The show was divided into nine scenes and followed an “Evolve” theme, inspired by restrictions on shows for the past two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Courtesy of MUSIC Matters U-M

Michigan’s Got Talent: A night of undeniable talents

Gabby Ceritano/Daily. Buy this photo.

Michigan tops Minnesota, wins first Big Ten Championship since 2016

Michigan Hockey are Big Ten Champions for the first time in six years after beating Minnesota 4-3 on Saturday. Despite early mistakes, punishing physical play and crowd antics, the Wolverines were victorious over the Golden Gophers and look to continue their winning play at the upcoming NCAA Regional Tournament. 

Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

Resilient Michigan upsets Tennessee, advances to Sweet Sixteen

Kate Hua/Daily. Buy this photo.

Nick Suriano wins National title, becomes Michigan’s first champion in a decade

With March Madness finally upon us, The Daily is going head-to-head in a fundraising competition against college newspapers across the country — and we need your support! Donate here to promote independent, student-run journalism in the state of Michigan and beyond.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER