February 22, 2022

Dominick Sokotoff/Daily. Buy this photo.

Report: Michigan to suspend Juwan Howard for rest of regular season

Men’s basketball coach Juwan Howard has been suspended for the remainder of the regular season following an incident on Sunday in which Howard swiped at a Wisconsin assistant coach’s face in the postgame handshake line, inciting a brawl between the two teams. Associate head coach Phil Martelli will serve as acting head coach for the Wolverines’ five remaining regular-season games as the team scrambles to make a last-second tournament run. Read more to find out what Howard himself had to say about the incident, and how Michigan will look to pick up the pieces after the incident. 

Courtesy of Matthew Shanbom

Coleman speaks with SACUA on sexual misconduct and provost search

Interim University President Mary Sue Coleman joined the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs on Monday afternoon to discuss faculty concerns surrounding the provost search, communication with the Board of Regents and the University’s mishandling of sexual misconduct cases. Coleman also answered questions regarding the Anderson settlement and encouraged staff to attend a listening session for the ongoing presidential search. 

Ali Chami/Daily. Buy this photo.

William Monroe Trotter Multicultural Center celebrates 50th Anniversary

The William Monroe Trotter Multicultural Center, which promotes intercultural engagement and inclusivity initiatives on campus, celebrated its 50th Anniversary on Feb. 10. The center, originally called Trotter House, has been an inclusive space for students of color since its founding in 1971 and continues its tradition of political consciousness through programs that celebrate its history.

Design by Tamara Turner. Buy this photo.

Ethics 101 with Schlissel

Design by Sam Turner. Buy this photo.

War and peace: an administration that has chosen neither

Daily Opinion columnist Nikhil Sharma examines President Biden’s response to Russia’s intent to invade Ukraine. Sharma argues that Biden’s murky middle ground between diplomacy and force has made the United States “look geopolitically weak,” “uncommitted to its allies” and has “permanently diminished the United States’s negotiating power.”

From The Daily: Congressional stock trading needs reform

The downside of Big Dairy’s big influence

We’re excited to announce our latest newsletter, Maynard Street Blitz! Offering important updates on all things Michigan athletics, this sports-centric newsletter hits your inbox every other Wednesday. Whether you’ve been a Michigan fan since day one or just have a distaste for the state of Ohio, click this link to subscribe.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER