April 13, 2022

Design by Erin Ruark

Daily investigation finds 30 years of alleged unprofessional conduct by two musicology professors

A Michigan Daily investigation into the Rackham Graduate School’s musicology department found evidence of improper conduct by musicology professor Louise Stein and department chair James Borders. The allegations cover a wide range of areas of misconduct, including grade manipulation, insensitive comments violating personal boundaries and academic bullying. Read to learn more about the allegations and how graduate students in the department say they were affected.

Ali Chami/Daily. Buy this photo.

Ann Arbor businesses discuss preparations for first fully in-person commencement since 2019

Graduation is one of the most important events for local businesses in Ann Arbor, as the commencement ceremonies generate an influx of cash ahead of the slower summer season. Businesses lost out on this boost over the past two years when the graduation ceremonies were online in 2020 and only open to students in 2021. But, with the University switching back to a fully in-person ceremony for the class of 2022, business owners expect traffic to spike during this year’s commencement. 

SACUA talks adding sexual misconduct statement to all class syllabi, urges creation of ethics and compliance office

The Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs held a meeting where members notably voted to recommend that professors include a sexual misconduct statement on syllabi. SACUA also voted to recommend that the University create an office for ethics and compliance to ensure cooperation with sexual misconduct policies, among other recommendations. These policy recommendations come after the University faced a high-profile sexual misconduct scandal involving the late doctor Robert Anderson. 

Design by Anya Singh. Buy this photo.

Finals Time

Jarett Orr/Daily. Buy this photo.

Kerrytown transforms into a wonderland for Ann Arbor’s Fool Moon Festival

The annual Fool Moon Festival in Kerrytown was held on Friday, April 1, as a celebration of April Fool’s Day. While many attendees wore Alice in Wonderland costumes to match the official theme of “Alice in Wonderfools,” a variety of other costumes created an aura of messiness that furthered the event’s authenticity. Fool Moon is also the rare Ann Arbor event that gears itself primarily to non-students, giving it an identity and feel distinct from the University.

Design by Erin Ruark

Whether you realize it or not, Netflix is just another social media app

Design by Tamara Turner

One does not simply ‘write’ Lord of the Rings fanfiction

For the most up-to-date breaking news, make sure to follow The Michigan Daily on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter. And make sure to pick up a print copy of The Daily every Wednesday around campus.

As always, if you enjoy getting daily updates, share this link with others to subscribe!

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER