BY DOMINICK SOKOTOFF AND SHANNON STOCKING
October 11, 2021

GOOD MONDAY MORNING. Michigan Football narrowly beat Nebraska on the road 32-29 this weekend, and the Wolverines won’t have an Ann Arbor game day until Oct. 23. Looking ahead, the weather will be a bit chilly, with the possibility of rain later this week. 

If you enjoy receiving A2 Outlook every week, share this link with others to subscribe!

Joe Biden spoke at the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 324 Education center in Howell, Mich., Tuesday afternoon. Maddie Hinkley/Daily. Buy this photo.

BUILDING A CLEANER CITY: City Council convened Monday evening and unanimously passed the first reading of an ordinance to require certain, larger city and non-city properties to benchmark energy and water use and submit annual reports. 

Some councilmembers believe this will help the city and property owners make more informed decisions regarding energy efficiency.

TESTING TRENDS:  In an interview with The Daily, U-M President Mark Schlissel said that he is satisfied with the COVID-19 case numbers for the fall semester. The COVID-19 tracking page for the University has shown a continuous downward trend of positive cases through the fall semester. Schlissel added that as a campus community it is necessary to stay cautious as some students will be traveling for fall study breaks and Thanksgiving. 

ADMINISTRATOR ANALYSIS: City Council also voted 10-1 to investigate Acting City Administrator John Fournier who is the subject of a complaint from HR Director Tom Guajardo on Oct. 1. Guajardo alleged Fournier fostered a hostile and discriminatory work environment and has instructed him to violate the law, according to MLive.

CM Ali Ramlawi, D-Ward 5, didn’t vote in support of the revised resolution because he wished that Fournier would be placed on administrative leave while the investigation was conducted.

MLive also reported that Mayor Christopher Taylor recently suggested a $3,000-per-month pay increase and a title of deputy city administrator for Fournier when Milton Dohoney assumes the role of interim city administrator.

AWAITING ATTORNEY APPOINTMENT: City Attorney finalist Atleen Kaur participated in an interview with City Council Wednesday, where she spoke about her experience and wanting to give back to the Ann Arbor community. Kaur, if chosen, would replace City Attorney Stephen Postema next March.

RABHI’S REVIEW: State Rep. Yousef Rabhi, D-Ann Arbor, spoke with The Daily last week about what he sees as a lack of investment by private power companies in the reliability of power grids amid recent extreme weather events. 

Rabhi says his office is working on legislation that would require private companies to be held more financially accountable by having to provide larger outage credits to their customers.

POLICING VAX MANDATES: Ann Arbor’s police union criticized the city of Ann Arbor’s vaccine mandate, which requires all city employees to be vaccinated before Nov. 1, stating the mandate is “not necessary and unlawful,” according to MLive. The mandate was announced Aug. 26 by Acting City Administrator John Fournier and received support from City Council. 

The police union’s criticism followed a recent state-wide law against public agencies requiring vaccines. Ann Arbor’s mandate originally required city employees to be vaccinated by last Friday, but the deadline has since been extended to Nov. 1 while the city explores legal avenues.

TREE TOWN’S GREEN FAIR: Ann Arbor’s 20th annual Green Fair took place this past Friday and included a variety of booths from local businesses and non-profit organizations promoting Ann Arbor’s environmental goals. Many of the booths centered around the city’s A2Zero carbon neutrality initiative which aims for Ann Arbor to be completely carbon neutral by 2030. 

“A beginner’s guide to getting around Ann Arbor without a car”Concentrate

“U.S. 23 Flex Route north of Ann Arbor has reduced crashes, receives high approval rating, report says”MLive

“University of Michigan worried bridge failure could limit access to hospital”MLive

“Ann Arbor OKs design costs for new Border-to-Border Trail tunnel pathway”MLive

“Biden and Michigan state leaders speak about Build Back Better agenda, infrastructure bill during Howell visit”The Michigan Daily

“5 bills to watch in the Michigan legislature: October 7, 2021”The Michigan Daily

“With redistricting process underway, some legislators, activists criticize longtime practice of prison gerrymandering”The Michigan Daily

“Schlissel: Multimillion-dollar exit package is ‘a fair way forward’”The Michigan Daily

“Inside the contract: UMich President Schlissel to be paid full presidential salary two years after resignation”The Michigan Daily

“Division of Public Safety and Security releases annual Security and Fire Safety report, finds most crimes stem from Anderson reports”The Michigan Daily

“Students, health care workers talk Michigan Medicine nurses’ exemption from vaccine requirement”The Michigan Daily

Washtenaw County reported 83 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours and 1,041 cases in the past two weeks. 73.3% of Washtenaw County residents aged 16 and over have received at least one vaccine dose. 

News tips? Comments? Questions?
A2 Outlook editors Dominick Sokotoff and Shannon Stocking can be reached at sokotoff@umich.edu and sstockin@umich.edu, respectively.

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER