BY DOMINICK SOKOTOFF AND SHANNON STOCKING
November 8, 2021

GOOD MORNING! We hope you had a good weekend and Election Day — and enjoyed Michigan football beating Indiana 29-7 on Saturday.

If you’re enjoying A2 Outlook, share this link with others to subscribe!

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer speaks with The Michigan Daily at the Michigan Union Friday morning after signing legislation repealing a tax on menstrual products. Madeline Hinkley/Daily. Buy this photo.

HAIL TO THE VICTIMS: The Daily’s news reporters, photographers and videographers spent 24 hours with the survivors of late Dr. Robert Anderson and protesters who have been camped outside of University President Mark Schlissel’s house through rain and cold for nearly a month. 

The group is demanding Schlissel and the Board of Regents hold a formal conversation with the survivors regarding the University’s role in perpetuating Anderson’s abuse. Here is what we observed, hour by hour, from 10:00 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 5 to 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 6. 

VACCINATION EXPANSION: Children 5 to 11 years of age will be able to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine as soon as tomorrow through the Washtenaw County Health Department. 

Michigan Medicine also announced that patients can display a virtual copy of their COVID-19 vaccination record on their mobile phones through the MyUofMHealth portal. The results can also be exported from the patient portal to Apple’s Health and Wallet mobile applications.

Meanwhile, COVID-19 cases among U-M students have been on the rise. This includes two clusters related to gatherings over the Halloween weekend and Fall Break travel, according to University President Mark Schlissel. 

RESULTS ARE IN: In Tuesday’s Ann Arbor special election, proposals A, B, C and D passed. The Daily compiled a precinct-level breakdown of the votes, as well as explanations of each proposal.

New analysis shows that there was record-breaking turnout among U-M students in the 2020 presidential election. Turnout jumped 18% among U-M students from the 2016 election.

This comes as City Council approved an ordinance Monday that reapportioned Ann Arbor’s five wards according to the 2020 Census. Wards 4 and 5 will now include more of the downtown area, while Wards 1 and 2 will decrease in size. 

Some community members spoke out with concerns that the map will maintain the status quo by disenfranchising the U-M student population. They claim the City Charter’s requirement for “pie-shaped” wards splits the student population among the wards and gives them less representation and voice in local matters.

CLOSURE CRITICISM: Following Ann Arbor Public School’s unexpected closure due to staff shortages on Oct. 25, parents spoke out about the inconvenience of the sudden closure. Three days earlier, three AAPS schools were closed due to a substitute teacher shortage and high rate of teacher illness.

“It was a nightmare,” AAPS parent and LSA junior Patrick Gallager told The Daily, citing the late notice of the Oct. 25 closure. In a mostly in-person school year parents expressed frustration with the sudden switch to online, citing the lack of resources and time for accommodation. 

CHILD CARE CONCERNS: Michigan Caregivers and Student Parents (MCaSP) discussed the state of child care in Washtenaw County with elected officials and child care providers on Friday. Student parents at the University shared the sentiment of having difficulty managing in-person classes and child care options. 

Due to COVID-19 concerns, Ann Arbor Public Schools removed before and after school care for this academic year. There is currently a petition with over 1,100 signatures calling for the reinstatement of these programs. 

APPOINTMENT BEGINS: Milton Dohoney, Ann Arbor’s newly appointed interim city administrator, participated in his first Ann Arbor City Council meeting last Monday. Before the meeting, The Daily sat down with him to discuss the new position. 

Following reports of racial prejudice by former City Administrator Tom Crawford,  Dohoney stressed the importance of ethical workplace behavior in the office. 

“On the very first day that I got here, I had a message that went out to our entire workforce, where I talked about the importance of integrity, of ethical behavior, of civility at all times, of working in a collaborative fashion,” Donohey said.

IN AND OUT: Ann Arbor Coffee Roasting Co. is now open in the space on State Street formerly occupied by Espresso Royale. 

The owners of Crazy Wisdom Bookstore and Tearoom announced on Facebook they will be closing in February 2022, after almost 40 years in business.

BULLETIN BOARD: The city of Ann Arbor is seeking public feedback tomorrow on a proposal to rezone 69 parcels near Briarwood Mall to a new TC1 (transit corridor) designation. 

TheRide is seeking comments and ideas for their Long-Range Plan and will be holding drop-in sessions from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. today at the Ypsilanti Transit Center and tomorrow at the Blake Transit Center.

“Gov. Gretchen Whitmer sits down with The Michigan Daily to discuss higher education, chemical contamination, future of Michigan”The Michigan Daily

“5 Bills to watch in the Michigan state legislature: Nov. 5, 2021”The Michigan Daily

“CSG approves resolution condemning UMich response to Anderson sexual assault allegations”The Michigan Daily

“Ron Weiser is majority funder for MI voter ID campaign, new financial disclosure information reveals”The Michigan Daily

“Here’s how city-owned solar microgrids could power Ann Arbor homes and businesses”MLive

“Autonomous vehicle shuttle sees more than 500 rides in first weeks of launch in Ann Arbor” MLive

“Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority director search down to 3 finalists”MLive

“‘Black Boys Matter’ rally puts spotlight on incident where police handcuffed child”All About Ann Arbor

Washtenaw County reported 168 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours and 1,136 cases in the past two weeks. 74.6% of Washtenaw County residents aged 16 and over have received at least one vaccine dose. 

News tips? Comments? Questions?
A2 Outlook editors Dominick Sokotoff and Shannon Stocking can be reached at sokotoff@umich.edu and sstockin@umich.edu, respectively.

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER