BY DOMINICK SOKOTOFF, SHANNON STOCKING AND CHRISTIAN JULIANO
August 30, 2021

HAPPY MONDAY and to many, happy first day of school! We’re back from our brief break last week when we took a much-needed vacation. We’re hoping for a great week with cooler temperatures and less traffic, and we are keeping our eyes on the three-day weekend that lies ahead. We’re honored to bring you this week’s news about Ann Arbor. 

As always, be sure to share this link with others to subscribe if you enjoy receiving A2 Outlook in your inbox each week.

M-36 Coffee Roasters opened on S. University Ave. earlier this month, filling the space formerly occupied by Espresso Royale. Becca Mahon/Daily. Buy this photo.

BUS FUSS: Changes to AAPS bus routes for this fall are causing frustration among parents, according to MLive. This follows controversy related to limited after-school childcare options at AAPS. Bus routes have been eliminated for some students who live within the district’s 1.5 mile walk-zone, forcing some parents to figure out rides for their students to and from school.

RESIDENT REBUTTAL: Tenants at The One, a new housing complex on Pontiac Trail, are demanding a 50% rent decrease and free parking for the remainder of their leases after their move-in date was delayed up to weeks. Their expected move-in date was Aug. 24, and many tenants were notified of the change on Aug. 19. Many of the residents are students at U-M, where classes began today. 

DERAILED? Earlier this month, the Federal Railroad Administration alerted the City of Ann Arbor that it does not intend on proceeding with an environmental assessment for a proposal to build a new Amtrak station in Fuller Park, according to MLive. The FRA’s move effectively ends their work on the project after the city has spent millions of dollars over several years developing and assessing the plans. 

The FRA told the city the cost of the project, which could be more than $171 million, would be too high. They also said the scope of the project was too big, with more than 600 parking spaces in the proposed first phase. The city plans on reaching out to Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Ann Arbor, and MDOT to work on next steps.

Meanwhile, a new mixed-use development is being planned for the space across from the current Amtrak station, according to MLive.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE: After hundreds of thousands of SE Michigan residents experienced power outages two weeks ago, with some outages lasting up to five days, conversations over a community-owned Ann Arbor power grid have been reenergized, according to MLive. Proponents say such a grid would ensure that Ann Arbor has control over its energy future and independence. CM Elizabeth Nelson, D-Ward 4, is sponsoring a resolution to explore the concept, which will be voted on at the Sept. 7 City Council meeting. 

PSYCHEDELIC FESTIVAL: City Council unanimously passed a resolution this month to declare September “Entheogenic Plant and Fungi Awareness Month,” along with a yearly festival, according to MLive. The move follows City Council voting to make psychedelic mushrooms a lower law enforcement priority last year. This year’s EntheoFest will occur on the U-M Diag on Sept. 19 … The event posting

COMMUNITY CHEST: City Council unanimously voted this month to allocate almost $59,000 toward community events. The money will go toward events such as the Ann Arbor Summer Festival and Ann Arbor Art Fair; MLive breaks it all down.

SAFETY FIRST: In case you missed it, First St. was converted from a one-way street into a two-way street, causing confusion among residents, according to MLive. Be sure to pay close attention when driving or walking on First St. 

Members and supporters of the Lecturers’ Employee Organization gather in front of the Mosher-Jordan and Alice Lloyd Residence Halls Saturday afternoon. Jeremy Weine/Daily. Buy this photo.

“Ann Arbor elementary, high schools safe from asbestos after testing”MLive

“​​Local contractor blows whistle on alleged asbestos issue at Ann Arbor elementary schools”WXYZ

“‘Our strike threat is real’: LEO protests for a fair contract during move-in”The Michigan Daily

“Latest look at Ann Arbor’s downtown affordable housing high-rise plans”MLive

“Parents want most teachers, students vaccinated, University of Michigan poll says”MLive

“AAPS board rejects land easement sale for housing development. Trustee wonders why no discussion”MLive

The City of Ann Arbor is seeking artists to paint a large mural at the city’s Water Treatment Plant … More details

It may still be 90 degrees out, but fall is creeping in as the Dexter Cider Mill is now open for the season. They are open Wednesday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Washtenaw County reported 59 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours and 596 cases in the past two weeks. 71% of Washtenaw County residents aged 16 and over have received at least one vaccine dose. 

Get free at-home COVID-19 test kits shipped to you … Order tests

News tips? Comments? Questions?
A2 Outlook editors Dominick Sokotoff and Shannon Stocking can be reached at sokotoff@umich.edu and sstockin@umich.edu, respectively.

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER