January 20, 2022

Good morning, 

Welcome to the Jan. 20 edition of the Weekly Roundup. We hope you were able to celebrate Martin Luther King Day and are settling back in the swing of things.

This week, Mark Schlissel was fired by the Board of Regents, the University reached a settlement for nearly $500 million with survivors of former University doctor Robert Anderson and more.

Grace Beal/Daily. Buy this photo.

UMich President Mark Schlissel fired following investigation into “inappropriate relationship” with employee

On Saturday, Jan. 15th, the Board of Regents fired former University President Mark Schlissel after learning that he violated the University’s supervisor relationship policy. 118 pages of emails between Schlissel and an unknown subordinate, only referred to as Individual 1, were released to the public after the decision was made. Learn more about the anonymous tip that started the investigation and the campus community’s reaction.

Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

Over 1,000 Anderson survivors reach $490 million settlement with the University of Michigan

After 15 months of mediation with over 1,000 survivors of the late U-M athletic doctor Robert Anderson, the University agreed to a $490 million settlement. Attorney Jamie White spoke to The Michigan Daily and explained that the settlement still needs to be approved by a judge and the survivors. Read more to hear what President Mary Sue Coleman said, Anderson’s employment at the University and the end of survivor Jonathan Vaughn’s protest.

Who is Mary Sue Coleman?

Get reintroduced to Mary Sue Coleman, the first female University President, who has now returned as interim president. Read about her accomplishments during her tenure and what she’s been doing since her retirement from the University in 2014.

COVID-19 cases at the University remain high but are currently stable according to its COVID Dashboard. Last week, the University recorded 959 new cases, with a positivity rate of 5.5%. On Jan. 19, Quarantine and Isolation housing was at 14.6% occupancy.

The University is requiring that students receive their booster shots by Feb. 4. Students can get booster shots at these locations and should report their booster here

The biggest news, Tweets, events of interest (and maybe some jokes) captured from Twitter.

Pulling at Heartstrings

Join The Michigan Daily!

Interested in working for one of the largest student-run newspapers in the country? The Michigan Daily wants YOU to join! Recruitment will be hybrid this semester, with mass meetings for all sections in the newsroom on Jan. 20 at 7:00 p.m. or Jan. 23 at 3:00 p.m. More information can be found here – no prior experience is necessary.

© 2021 The Michigan Daily. All Rights Reserved.

VIEW IN BROWSER