A car crash on I-94 resulted in the death of a 21-year-old Ann Arbor woman Wednesday night. Another woman was in critical condition after the incident.

The collision of a semi-truck and a car occurred just after 6 p.m. on I-94 East, near Pittsfield Township. A 30-year-old woman was driving in the far left lane when, according to the Michigan State Police, she lost control and swerved in front of the semi-truck, killing the 21-year-old passenger. The crash is still under investigation.

The incident resulted in the closure of eastbound I-94 for six hours Wednesday night. It happened amid a heavy and wet snowfall, which began that afternoon and accumulated several inches of slush and snow. The National Weather Service released a winter storm advisory in the days leading up to the snowfall, predicting upward of 10 inches in some areas. The peak of the snowfall happened Wednesday afternoon into nighttime, covering the time that the I-94 accident took place.

Other car accidents also occurred due to the severe weather Wednesday. The system, formally named Winter Storm Petros, hit much of the southeastern parts of the state. The Washtenaw County Dispatch reported multiple minor crashes during the time of the storm. The snow restricted visibility to as much as only one-quarter of a mile when driving.