A winter storm warning has been issued in Southeast Michigan and is in effect until 11 a.m. Thursday morning.

Upward of 12 inches of snow is expected to accumulate by the end of the warning north of the M-59 corridor. To the south, 7 to 10 inches of snow are expected to accumulate.

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said Wednesday there is little to no likelihood that the University will close operations due to this storm. The University has closed two times for winter weather conditions since 1978 — once in each of the past two academic years. After the 2014 closure, the University updated its policies on dealing with severe weather.

“I don’t see a snow day or a reduced day in operations for the University tomorrow,” Fitzgerald said. “We are confident that we will be able to have the roads and sidewalks cleared by tomorrow and will be able to operate as usual.”

The University’s Flint campus announced Wednesday afternoon that it would be closing at 3 p.m. for the day.

Travel in this area of the state is expected to be hazardous, with visibility as low as one-fourth of a mile predicted in the heaviest snow. The National Weather Service is advising residents to take extreme caution while traveling until the snow has been cleared.

The snow is expected to be heavy and wet in texture, thus making cleanup and removal a challenge.

In response to this storm, the state of Michigan began closing offices in the lower peninsula at noon.

“All non-essential State of Michigan government offices and buildings in the Lower Peninsula are closed beginning at noon, Wednesday, February 24, 2016,” a post on the state government’s website said. “State employees working in non-essential facilities in the Lower Peninsula have been dismissed because of dangerous weather conditions.”