Twenty-nine University of Michigan students received Fulbright grants this year — more Fulbright scholars than any other public university in the United States — for the third consecutive year, according to a press release.

Among both public and private universities, the University was ranked only below Harvard University, which received 31 Fulbright grants.

The Fulbright program provides recipients the opportunity to conduct research, study or teach English in over 140 countries for six to 12 months. Selection is made based on the applicant’s’ academic and professional records as well as on their academic project proposals’ potential.

Proposed research topics and travels for the UM recipients vary. One recipient, John Doering-White, a social work and anthropology Ph.D. candidate, is researching undocumented migrants in Mexico. Another, University alum Layne Vandenberg is in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil researching how 2016 Olympic Games preparations affect low-income communities.

The U.S. Department of State has sponsored the Fulbright program since 1946, with the aim of increasing mutual understanding and appreciation between different cultures. The University was the top public producer of Fulbright scholars nationwide in 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2010-2012.