The University Insider is The Daily’s first faculty and staff-oriented newsletter. This weekly newsletter will give U-M faculty and staff the ability to see the most important issues on campus and in Ann Arbor — particularly those related to administrative decisions — from the perspective of an independent news organization. It will also provide a better understanding of student perspectives.

The University of Michigan ranked 27th nationally among all colleges and universities in 2017, moving up two spots from the year before, in the U.S. News and World Report annual ranking.

Among public institutions, the University was rated fourth best, following the University of California, Berkeley, the University of California, Los Angeles and the University of Virginia — all schools outpacing the University in U.S. News’s ratings in the last three years.

The Ross School of Business ranked 12 in best business schools, tying with Duke University, while the University’s business programs were fourth best in the country overall.

The College of Engineering also placed in the top 10 schools in country and was ranked the top nuclear engineering program and second-best industrial, manufacturing and systems engineering program.

Earlier this month, UM was ranked as the top public university in the QS World University Rankings. The QS methodology relies on global surveys of employer and academic reputation, while the U.S. News and World Report ratings give more weight to graduation and retention rates.

The U.S. News ranking also takes into consideration faculty resources such as class size and faculty pay, student selectivity and alumni giving rate, according to its website.

This is a developing story. Check back at michigandaily.com for updates.