Michigan Medicine nurses and supporters attend a picket for safer conditions and a fair contract organized by the University of Michigan Professional Nurse Council at Fuller Park. After, they marched around the hospital buildings July 16. Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

The University Insider is The Daily’s first faculty and staff-oriented newsletter. This weekly newsletter will give U-M faculty and staff the ability to see the most important issues on campus and in Ann Arbor — particularly those related to administrative decisions — from the perspective of an independent news organization. It will also provide a better understanding of student perspectives.

The Michigan Nurses Association-University of Michigan Professional Nurse Council (MNA-UMPNC) announced a tentative agreement in their contract negotiations with Michigan Medicine Thursday morning. This comes after over six months of negotiations over working conditions and staffing levels. The agreement will now be up for a ratification vote among MNA-UMPNC members.

According to the MNA-UMPNC press release, the tentative agreement addresses concerns on overworking and understaffing. For example, part of the preliminary contract includes an end to mandatory overtime and competitive wages to draw experienced nurses and retain talent. The tentative agreement also contains measures to improve workload ratios, which was one of the main points of concern for the union.

Renee Curtis, president of MNA-UMPNC, wrote in the release that she believes this agreement offers a fair representation of the nurses’ demands. 

“MNA-UMPNC nurses want to thank our community for all their support and advocacy over the months,” Curtis wrote. “Our elected nurse negotiating team is unanimous in believing that this agreement is a win for everyone who cares about nurses and the quality of care at the University of Michigan.” 

Earlier this month, 96% of the MNA-UMPNC members voted in favor of a labor strike authorization in response to the University’s alleged failure to bargain. The strike authorization allows members to call for a work stoppage at any time. 

Michigan Medicine did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication.

An MNA spokesperson informed The Michigan Daily that members of MNA-UMPNC will review the tentative contract in the following days. Details will be released to members of MNA-UMPNC in upcoming meetings, and additional information will be released to the public when the contract is finalized. 

Daily News Editor Shannon Stocking can be reached at sstockin@umich.edu