Three months after the terrorist attacks which killed more than 100 in Paris, a Brussels airport and subway were sequentially bombed Tuesday near the headquarters of the European Union. The New York Times reported that more than 30 people were killed at both sites, and more than 230 others were wounded. The Islamic State has since claimed responsibility for the attacks.

University spokeswoman Kim Broekhuizen wrote in an e-mail Tuesday that along with one student in Brussels confirmed safe, there were also a few other University students who were visiting Belgium while studying elsewhere in Europe. 

“All have checked in and all are safe,” Broekhuizen wrote in an email. 

U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Dearborn)  released a statement following the attacks, emphasizing the importance of the international community staying united.

“All of America stands united with our friends in Belgium, all of Europe and the world in denouncing terrorism wherever it threatens freedom, democracy and peace,” Dingell wrote. “We must double down on our commitment to bring to justice whoever is responsible for these attacks and renew our efforts to promote peace across the globe. We must all be vigilant against this hatred, but we cannot let the terrorists win. Most importantly, we cannot allow fear and hatred to divide us and instead must stand united in defeating evil.”

The Prime Minister of Belgium Charles Michel said in a news conference Tuesday that the country had feared that amid other recent terrorist activity, something like the attacks would occur.

“We were fearing terrorist attacks, and that has now happened,” Michel said. He tweeted for citizens to stay put as security is tightened at all major transportation centers in Brussels.