Phi Delta Epsilon and EkoAmazon fundraised near the posting wall in Mason Hall yesterday for seperate nonprofits.  

Pre-medical fraternity Phi Delta Epsilon sold Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Mason Hall for the Children’s Miracle Network, an organization that raises money for local children’s hospitals.

LSA sophomore Heather Martin said Phi Delta Epsilon primarily fundraises for CMN. She added that Phi Delta Epsilon’s president recently attended CMN’s national convention in Florida and found it to be a positive experience.

“(The chapter president) learned all these great fundraising ideas and they even met a few of the kids and saw where our money goes,” Martin said. “They had such powerful stories and she came back and shared them with us. We’re just picking up more fundraisers so that hopefully we can give more money to our foundation.”

Martin noted the group has encountered some difficulties because they are a new student organization.

“Our last founding member is graduating this year, so we’re about four or five years old,” she said. “We have been fundraising in the past, but it’s a slow process getting started, and there’s so many organizations fundraising, so we’re constantly coming up with new ideas, whether it’s small ones like bake sales or our student convention we had a couple of months ago, where we brought in some guest speakers.”

The University of Michigan’s chapter of EkoAmazon, a larger nonprofit organization that promotes health care sustainability through education in Peru and villages across the Amazon River, also tabled near the posting wall to raise funds for a trip to Peru this summer and next year.

LSA freshman Anu Roy-Chaudhary said because their organization has only existed for one year, they were not able to take any of their members on the alternative Spring Break trip offered by their national organization.

Roy-Chaudhary added that the ASB trip, as well as summer expeditions that are offered, allow students to volunteer in different villages along the Amazon.

“They get you to interact with the kids; you teach and you also help with sustainability — so bringing water filters down and things like that,” Roy-Chaudhary said. “There’s a huge disparity in water allocation and clean water in Peru.”

Roy-Chaudhary said she had taken a trip to Peru during her junior year of high school and was inspired to join EkoAmazon because of her experiences.

“It’s a very special country,” she said. “It’s a very disadvantaged country, but the people that are there are some of the nicest people I’ve met.”