University of Michigan alum Stanford Lipsey, the longtime publisher of The Buffalo News and a significant donor to several initiatives and groups on campus, including student publications, died Tuesday morning at the age of 89.

Lipsey was a native of Omaha, Nebraska and graduated from the University of Michigan in 1948 with a B.A. in Economics. While a student, he was a photographer for The Michigan Daily and a photography editor for the Michiganensian yearbook.

In 2005, Lipsey donated $3 million for the renovation of the Student Publications Building, which houses several campus publications including the Daily. The Board of Regents then renamed the Stanford Lipsey Student Publications Building in his honor. Lipsey also established a series of annual scholarships and prizes in 2007 for photography, investigative reporting and public service for University undergraduates.

“If you’re financially successful in life, those resources should go back to society,” Lipsey said in a video interview at the Daily 2009. “Certainly the institution that educated you and allowed you to mature deserves support for the young people that are coming in.”

After graduating from the University, Lipsey served in the Air Force during the Korean War as editor of the Offutt, a Nebraska-based newspaper Air Pulse at Strategic Air Command Headquarters.

He then joined the weekly Sun Newspapers in his hometown of Omaha in 1953, where he eventually became the paper’s publisher and owner. In 1969, Lipsey sold the paper to Warren Buffett, but continued as publisher. During his tenure at Sun Newspapers, the paper won a Pulitzer Prize for local investigative reporting in 1973. 

In 1983, Lipsey became publisher of The Buffalo News in New York at the request of Buffett, who also owned the paper. He remained in that position until his retirement in 2012.

Lipsey is survived by his wife, Judith; daughter, Janet; son, Daniel; and two grandchildren.