The Slurping Turtle, a new Japanese restaurant on East Liberty that also has a location in Chicago, celebrated its one-year anniversary Sunday evening by hosting its first annual Ramen Battle. With over 200 attendees, the event was created to thank the Ann Arbor community and give back to those in need.

The competition brought five chefs from metro-Detroit restaurants to prepare different variations of a classic meal: ramen noodles. The chefs involved in the event were Luciano Del Signore of Bacco in Southfield, Andy Hollyday of Selden Standard in Detroit, Eve Aronoff of Frita Batidos in Ann Arbor, Tadashi Yagihashi of Slurping Turtle in Ann Arbor and James Rigato of The Root in White Lake.

Event attendees, who paid $70 for tickets, tasted each dish and then voted on a winner with the help of participating judges. The winning chef, Andy Hollyday, received $2,000 to donate to the charity of his choice.

Each chef chose a different charity to represent.

Chef Andy Hollyday represented Cass Community Social Services, Chef Eve Aronoff represented The Humane Farming Association, Chef Luciano Del Signore represented CDS Foundation, Chef James Rigato represented the Michigan Humane Society and Chef Tadashi Yagihashi represented Mott Children’s Hospital.

The restaurant, which opened last year, used the event as a celebratory gathering.

“This is our way to say thank you to the community, thank you to all of the Ann Arborites, thank you for welcoming us, and we made it,” event Director Tom Roche explained.

Roche said the most difficult aspect of organizing the event was securing the availability of all the participating chefs.

“Getting five chefs to meet, time-wise, has been very difficult,” Roche said. “Chefs kind of like to work in their own world and so it’s very difficult. Getting five people under one roof was a challenge.”

Participants in the event were complimentary of the food as well as the environment.

For Ann Arbor resident Karen Rosenspire, the event was the first food competition she has taken part in.

“I’ve been here before and I’ve been to some of the other restaurants and I’m excited to see who else will do well,” Karen Rosenspire said. “This is pretty interesting and the food is really good.”

Echoing her positive response was Ann Arbor resident Steve Green.

“It’s a great event that really benefits everyone, and I love ramen too,” Green said. “It’s really cool because each dish has a different flavor. It’s great to see all of these great chefs here also.”

Roche said he was most inspired by the number of people who attended the event.

“I’m amazed about the turnout,” he said. We didn’t know what to expect because this was our first year doing it. I’m overwhelmed with the positive response from everyone and everyone’s here. It’s a great day.”