In statement, Schlissel calls for review of Athletic Department safety procedures

Ruby Wallau/Daily

By Sam Gringlas, Daily News Editor

One day after University Athletic Director Dave Brandon released a statement announcing Michigan quarterback Shane Morris had suffered from a “probable, mild concussion” at Saturday’s game against Minnesota, the University released a statement from University President Mark Schlissel, who called for a review of safety procedures related to student athletes, particularly those involving head injuries.

Schlissel said he has instructed the Athletic Department to provide this review to campus leadership and the University’s Board of Regents, but did not specify a timeline for the report’s delivery.

In an interview with The Michigan Daily this month, Schlissel said he and Brandon have a good working relationship, and that he aims to learn more about the department as a whole as he adjusts to his new role.

Read Schlissel’s statement here:

As the leader of our university community, I want to express my extreme disappointment in the events surrounding the handling of an on-field injury to one of our football players, Shane Morris. The health and safety of our entire student community, including all of our student-athletes, is my most important responsibility as university president.

I have been in regular discussion regarding this incident and its aftermath with Athletic Director David Brandon and the Board of Regents. I support the immediate protocol changes that the department's initial assessment has identified. I have instructed the Athletic Department to provide me, the Board of Regents, and other campus leaders with a thorough review of our in-game player safety procedures, particularly those involving head injuries, and will involve experts from the University of Michigan Health System in assessing its medical aspects.

Despite having one of the finest levels of team medical expertise in the country, our system failed on Saturday. We did not get this right and for this I apologize to Shane, his family, his teammates, and the entire Michigan family. It is a critical lesson to us about how vigilant and disciplined we must always be to ensure student-athlete safety. As president, I will take all necessary steps to make sure that occurs and to enforce the necessary accountability for our success in this regard.

Our communications going forward will be direct, transparent and timely. The University of Michigan stands for the highest level of excellence in everything we do, on and off the field. That standard will guide my review of this situation and all the University's future actions.
My thanks go to the many members of the University community who have taken the time to express their thoughts.