At $871,250, the salary of Marschall Runge, the University’s executive vice president for medical affairs and CEO of the University of Michigan Health System, is the highest base pay among all University employees for 2015, according to the annual salary report released last week.

Runge, whose appointment became effective in March, receives a base pay $231,400 dollars higher than the $639,850 salary Doug Strong earned serving as interim CEO.

The salary report details the base pay of all University employees earned in a given year and does not document pay from bonuses or incentives.

Starting in January, Runge will also serve as the dean of the Medical School. The University’s Board of Regents decided in September to merge the CEO and dean positions to boost collaboration between medical research, education and patient care.

“I know he shares my enthusiasm for this shared alignment of all aspects of our mission and he looks forward to carrying it forward through the health system organization,” University President Mark Schlissel said at the time.

Assistant football coaches Dan Durkin, the defensive coordinator, and Tim Drevno, the offensive coordinator, tied for the second highest paid employees, each earning a base pay of $800,000 — $300,000 more than head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Harbaugh earns a base pay of $500,000, making him the 13th highest paid University employee. However, that number does not account for $5 million in additional compensation and a $2 million signing bonus this year. 

Schlissel is the fourth highest paid employee at the University, with a salary of $772,000. He accepted a 3-percent raise this year following a unanimous vote from the regents in September, increasing his salary from $750,000 to $772,500. Regent Andrew Richner (R–Grosse Pointe) proposed the increase, citing Schlissel's handling of campus issues such as diversity, sexual assault and affordability.

Schlissel’s base pay is $169,000 higher than that of his predecessor, Mary Sue Coleman, who earned a base pay of $603,000 upon retiring in 2014.

According to a press release, faculty salary increases for 2015-2016 averaged 2.6 percent and staff salary increases averaged 2.3 percent. Merit increases for executive officers averaged 2.67 percent, while merit increases for deans averaged 2.82 percent.

Highest paid University employees for 2015:

1. Executive vice president for medical affairs and CEO of University of Michigan Health System, Marschall Runge

2015 salary: $871,250

2. Assistant football coach Tim Drevno and former assistant football coach D. J. Durkin 

2015 salary: $800,000

3. University President Mark Schlissel

2015 salary: $772,500

4. Chief Investment Officer Erik Lundberg

2015 salary: $690,000

5. Medical School Dean James Woolliscroft

2015 salary: $627,403

6. Business School Dean Alison Davis-Blake

2015 salary: $616,621

7. Interim Athletic Director Jim Hackett

2015 salary: $615,000

8. Chief Financial Officer Kevin Hegarty

2015 salary: $543,250

9. Tony Denton, chief operating officer of UMHS and University Hospitals executive director

2015 salary: $533,948

Correction: A previous version of this article identified D.J. Durkin as an assistant football coach. Durkin is a former assistant footbal coach.